Couple questions about relic hunting?

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Clarkesville ga/ Ringgold ga
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter fast tracker, now garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone im moving to ringgold ga and i want to know of some stuff...
1) what are good number id signals for relics for the at pro?
2) When are good and bad times to metal detect in farmers fields?
3) how would you ground balence properly in the field with the at pro?
4) the garrett at pro has iron audio so how would i use that to my advantage?

Thanks and sorry, im new to relic hunting!

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Winter time is usually best for hunting fields, AT pro manually ground balances I think,as for id numbers just dig everything and learn the sound and numbers, the more you take out of the ground the less crap will be in the ground for future hunts. The best advice i can give you is ALWAYS GET PERMISSION!!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Relics can run the full ID range. Most low numbers will be nails, but you may be surprised. I don't recommend descriminating iron (0-40) because you'll loose some depth. Dig it all is the best advice I can give. Most lead will give a high tone & register in the 70s. If you don't descriminate, you won't need the iron audio, you'll hear the low, iron tones.

Relics can be iron shrapnel, horse shoes, persussion caps, lead bullets, brass buttons, copper hooks, coins. Don't descriminate and you won't miss anything.

Hunt the fields before planting or after the harvest. Winter is a good time, but be sure to wear blaze orange so you're not shot at by deer hunters.

As for ground balancing, balance as you do now. Pump it up and down til the numbers settle and go. Nothing fancy needed. Run as high sensitivity as your machine can handle. Swing slow and listen for deep, soft blips. Remember, you're not the first to hunt those locations, so most targets you'll get lucky to find will most likely be the deeper ones others have missed. Also, just because you don't get an ID # doesn't mean there isn't a target there if you get an audio signal. If the signal is repeatable, it could be a very deep target that the detector can't ID. I dug a bullet at 11" with a soft high tone but no ID.

Most importantly... ASK PERMISSION and STAY OUT OF STATE AND FEDERAL BATTLEFIELD PARKS WITH YOUR DETECTOR!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Good luck & have fun.
Dwight

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread