Still looking for some advice.

gcollins

Greenie
Jan 3, 2006
Some of you have read my post and some havn't. Lots of you have gave me great advice and I am great full for it!! I still have not located a place to hunt on my own! I have tried to do as much research as possible with little or no luck! I live in S. E. Kansas, and there was very, very, little C.W. activite around here, but there had to of been Dragoon Encampments, so I am asking is there a place on the net, that might give me some heads up on a starting place? I have went to the Library of Congress web site, but I don't know how to get in the reading room to read any letters, orders, reports, ect. I would be deeply great full of any and all help!!
Thanks Greg

T

TreasureTales

Have you tried the website for your state archives? How about a state museum? Large museums usually have great reference libraries as well as artifacts. I also suggest you join a metal detecting club and see what the other members have to say about places to hunt. Do you have any relatives or friends who would let you hunt their yards? They may not be Civil War sites, but they might be great places for a beginner to try. The key to finding treasure is not only in finding a good place to hunt, but also in knowing your machine thoroughly. The best place to hunt might prove to be fruitless if a detectorist doesn't know how to properly use his/her machine.

Click on this link to go to the Kansas State Historical Society (which is apparently the State Archives). Once browsing their website, you will probably find an address for sending them an email. With an email you can ask directly for help or ask for help in using their website for doing specific research (i.e. Civil War sites and/or encampments).
http://www.kshs.org/research/collections/documents/govtrecords/index/htm

Good Luck!

OP
OP
G

gcollins

Greenie
Jan 3, 2006
Treasure Tales thanks very much! I have been metal detecting for about 3 years and I know my machines decent, as you said i don't think you can learn a machine untill you atleast have 150 hours behind it. There is very little written material on the 1800's in my part of the state, which is the South East Part. But I do thank you, and I have allready located some facts that I had not found, by using your link!
Thanks Again
Greg

T

TreasureTales

Greg, you're very welcome. For me personally, doing the advance research is almost as much fun as metal detecting. I've learned so many interesting facts about my state and my county by getting acquainted with the local and state archives and the people who work for them.
Good luck in your research, and may you find the SE Kansas equivolent to the Battle of Gettysburg.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Greg, here's a few things. I don't know if Baxter Springs is too far SE but a possibility.

http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/kansas.html

Also a little something I found from bwcpublishing.

SOUTH COFFEEVILLE, Oklahoma: Located on the Verdigre River across the state line from Coffeeville, Kansas. In the early days when both Indian Territory and Kansas were dry, saloons and palaces of pleasure ran wide-open. When U.S. Marshalls arrived, liquor stocks were moved into Kansas temporarilly. When Kansas officers arrived, the stocks were moved a few feet back into Indian Territory. Enraged Kansans frequently ignored the line of demarcation and destroyed or burned the saloons. Remnants and mementos of the wide-open town will be found along the river and on the outskirts of town, yet.

OP
OP
G

gcollins

Greenie
Jan 3, 2006
Re: Stoney56

Thanks. I live close to Baxter Springs. and not to far for Coffey. town, I will research real hard.
Thanks again
H.H. To all!!!
Greg

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350
Hey bud where ya located at?I'm is S.E. ks too.Send me a pm or reply here.Always looking for someone to go with..hh rh

OP
OP
G

gcollins

Greenie
Jan 3, 2006
Re: Hey Bud

I sent you a pm. Maybe we can get toghter and hunt sometime.
greg

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
It seems to me like you should be in a great place to find artifacts. There was a teriffic border war between Kansas and Missouri. If you live in S.E. Kansas you must be fairly close to Springfield; Pea Ridge, Ark; Newtonia; and other notable Civil War sites in Missouri. I live in Eastern Missouri and sometimes travel 400 miles in a day to get to a spot. Sometimes I get skunked, sometimes I do real good. I hunt near Rolla, Mo. now and that is over 60 miles away. If you want to find neat stuff, you may have to drive a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread