If you are considering delaying electrolysis on a dug item, DONT!

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are considering delaying electrolysis on a dug item, DON'T!

Was doing some inventory of items I dug in 2001-2003 at a Seminole War fort (1850's). I placed these items in a riker case, temporarily, to show them in an exhibit. They were accidentally packed away and misplaced for nearly 10-years without treatment. Hence, this is what happens to an iron relic if not treated soon after being unearthed:

This was an iron pike tip used by soldiers in the everglades. Also, were used during the Civil War. Crumbling bad. Too late for electrolysis. Will paint it heavily with ospho to convert the rust, lightly brush away the powdered iron residual; thence, reinforce (seal) it with resin.
pike-x1.jpg
>
>
>
>
Another item: a piece of a knife blade with brass rivets for attaching the handle.
sem-knife-x1.jpg

Fortunately, I have photos put away of these items when first dug by me.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting, can't wait to see the pictures of when you first found them.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post. I have some items I need to do and they are crumbling every day. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread