Finding CW RELICS???

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
I am brand new to metal detecting and so far really enjoying it. I live in the North West part of North Carolina about 400 yards from the VA line. The property I own has a lot of history to it. It use to be an old slave plantation and auction house for slaves. In the early 1900's there was a old farm house built close to where my house stands today and the front and back acres were all corn fields. I have some pictures of the house that use to stand here. As soon as I got my detector home I started close to the house and found several iron shackels. This was really a strange find, to think these shackels may have been used to hold a slave captive. I found about 4 of these shackels and a short piece of chain. I also found plow heads in the yard along with a bunch of hand cut nails. What I am really wanting to know is how do you find civil war relics. Many of the lumber mills have big coffee cans sitting on top of their planers and when the machine hits a bullet they pull them out. They have many from musketballs and maxi balls that would have been used during the civil war period. I know there were no major battles fought close to hear, but troops must have traveled through this area. They had to camp, and thus they must have left behind items to now be found. How do you find areas where they might have camped or the routes they may have taken through the area? Any help would be great.
Thanks
Kevin

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
Research

first the library, ask them for local CW history that went on in your area. next talk to the historcal group in your area. once you have found where they camped and what roads they used, go to topozone on the internet and use there maps to help find the locations. once you have the locations use the list below to learn more about the troops that moved back and fourth in your area. at the start it's always a slow ride but soon it becomes easy. but research is the key. if you need more help in this just leave a message. good luck, boomer

Research:
finding and working a site that was war related is a step into our forefathers past. finding out the name of a camp or fort will lead to finding out what units were stationed there. this will help in finding the list of troops for each unit. the value of a civil war item goes up when you have the camp, units and list of men stationed there. also it may lead to where the units battles were. this location is one of the best there is. always remember: research is 90% of the find. good luck. boomer

Cyndi's List of Civil War Genealogy Resources
Cyndi's list is quite extensive and contains regimental rosters and histories for both Union and Confederate soldiers.
www.cyndislist.com/cw.htm

OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
I live in Mount Airy ( Mayberry). It is the birthplace of Andy Griffith and the show is based on his life in this little tow. They amke a lot of money here selling all kinds of stuff with him and Barney on it. We do have a Snappy Lunch that was metioned in the show and they have the best Pork Chop sandwhiches you have ever had, but be prepared to stand in line. It is a really nice little town, and a fun place to visit for the day. Just head North on 52 past Pilot Mtn. and you will run right into it. I live on the Northern part of town off 52 just before the VA line.
Kevin

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
saw some slave shackles on auction a week or so back, $221.00 ......Slave identification tags bring in the cash also.......good luck

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
Kevin
research is allways the best place to start if you are searching for a civil war camp keep in mind that when the soldiers camped if they where in it for the long haul they would dig out the ground and actually put up walls and then pitch a tent over this .
heres a quick thing to check out so you can understand more.
http://www.civilwarhome.com/camplife.htm

i can continue to help you as you go along since relic hunting is what i do start off there and then get back with me.
also what type of machine are you using?

Mav

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread