Help finding campsites and travelways

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Be careful u don't end up on park service land. That is a go to jail card. Good luck on any help locating such. When I got into this I was where u are now and people just will not help in most cases. Even the old timers in my area that did not even hunt anymore were not helpful. I went to my archives dept and started reading official records for my area and researched. Just keep trying and you will find some that are helpful. Google civil war and your area and that will probably pull up stuff for u. Good luck and HH.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Head over to the nearest and largest university you can, visit the library, go to "special collections" and ask the librarian there to help you. They live for that sort of thing. Also, check with the teachers or just "old timers" you see around town. They probably can help too. Good hunting...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research,research, and when you get done researching, Then go do some researching. Thats how most
hunters found their sites and none (or almost none) will give up a site that may have taken them years to finally find
they aren't being mean or unfriendly, it's just the way it's done. Check around and see if there is a Mding club in your
area, check into that you may want to join Good Luck and .....................HH

Sawadee

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2012
In Sherman's pathway
Detector(s) used
White's Blue Max 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just a suggestion, I found old maps of my county from the civil war era. Narrowed that down to Sherman's march then downloaded Google Earth. There is an app in GE that is "Add image overlay". Copy the map to your desktop then overlay on the Google earth. By matching up creeks and rivers I was able to narrow down places to look, then off to ask landowners if you can metal detect on their land.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a suggestion, I found old maps of my county from the civil war era. Narrowed that down to Sherman's march then downloaded Google Earth. There is an app in GE that is "Add image overlay". Copy the map to your desktop then overlay on the Google earth. By matching up creeks and rivers I was able to narrow down places to look, then off to ask landowners if you can metal detect on their land.

Google maps is a great tool .find out whats what without walkin a step

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread