Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Detecting in North Carolina

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2006
    Statesville ,North Carolina

Re: Detecting in North Carolina

i live in statesville nc , and just went out the first time with my metal detector today i been seeing this house that looked old , for a few years , didnt find anything lol but i enjoyed using my metal detector, i had since 1997 for the first time. lol i only have a radioshack DISCOVERY 3000. i guess i never used it cause i thought it was against the law to just go some place and use it?

Aug 2004
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by X_MIKE_X
    i live in statesville nc , and just went out the first time with my metal detector today i been seeing this house that looked old , for a few years , didnt find anything lol but i enjoyed using my metal detector, i had since 1997 for the first time. lol i only have a radioshack DISCOVERY 3000. i guess i never used it cause i thought it was against the law to just go some place and use it?
    Well it is if you don't have permission. You can't just go 'someplace and use it' without knowing the laws. It is pretty easy to find out, just call or visit the city hall parks department and ask. Not sure what NC public land rules are, but here in MO all the state parks are off limits to detecting. There is a big fine and confiscation of all your equipment if your caught. Private land should be ok if you have the owners permission.
    Happy Tesoro user - Mid Missouri

us
    Mar 2006
    North Carolina
    Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
    2 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Hey guys, I'm in NC too. I just joined the board and am just getting into detecting. I live in Johnston County about 20 miles from Bentonville. My wife's family was from that area but they don't have any battlefield land. If anyone gets a hunt up, I would sure like to join in. Right now I'm hitting the playgrounds and old home sites. Lots of clads but no silver yet.
    Mike

Charter Member
    us
    FlAuthor

Aug 2004
    Minneola, FL
    Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
    122 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Go to your county courthouse and ask for the old Government Survey Plats. Sometimes they have old maps already printed out for sale. These maps will show old roads, settlements, pioneer homesteads, Indian villages, river crossings, fort sites and crossroads. Should be enough sites to keep any TH'er busy for years. Remember in the old days, banks were scarce and not trusted so old pioneer homesteaders would cache their money in post hole banks. Good luck and post photos of finds.

FlAuthor
    Stephen Saxon likes this.
    7 books authored: Forts, Camps & Batteries of Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
    Where to Metal Detect in Central Florida and South Florida.

Nov 2005
    East Coast U S A
    Minelab XP-Pro-MinelabExcaliber-Fisher1260
    101 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I live in Charlotte, N C and have a friend in Greenville, N C .She said her brother used to find alot of C. W Relic's in this area.She has no idea if he detected Fayetteville, Wilmington or where ever. I went to Bentonville with about 6 club members ( forgot how to spell ) about 25 years ago and paid the land owner to detect,. Every week he would take the money and buy more bullets and put them in the field ( I guess ) and this help paid for the amusement I guess.

Richard
    In Charlotte, N C

us
    Jesus Christ is the REAL treasure to find!

Jul 2011
    Whites Prizim III, Minelab X-terra 50
    23 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I'm in Rowan County. Good luck, and hope you find some good stuff!
    My Best Finds:1942 Walking Liberty Half, 2 Barber Quarters
    6 Standing Liberty Quarters, 1 Washington Quarter 3 Barber Dimes, 6 Mercury Dimes, 5 Roosevelt Dimes, 53 Wheat Pennies, 1 189? Indian Head, 6 three ringers (1 pain) CW Union Officer Coat Button, many early 1900 bottles

us
    Mar 2012
    The Carolinas
    Minelab sovereign, Whites XLT, NEW E-TRAC, S&W .40 CAL, NRA MEMBER
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Im currently in Statesville. Looking for some places to go. Plan on moving back to North Myrtle Beach in a few months.
    Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors