Detecting in North Carolina

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard 8) Theres a few NCers here. I'm sure you will get some replies.

raterry

Feb 11, 2005
Welcome to the sport. I don't live near Greenville, but if you are ever out to the coast near Morehead City, I could point you to some different sites.

JAG

Nov 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I'm in Durham, NC and always looking for a spot to hunt with other hobbyists. It would be nice to organize some hunts in NC.

Jerry

BobG

Oct 28, 2005
I'm on the southern most coast of NC, Shallotte area.

I was up near the Bentonville battle ground last weekend looking into hunting a 40 acre field with the owner for Civil War relics.
I did find a shot mini-ball and will return when my friend gets a metal detector. We plan on doing a systematic hunt. It will take us forever it seems.

It just may take a group to do this, as there's plenty more fields to hunt. That'll be his call though.

If you ever get down this way, let me know.

JAG

Nov 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I'm ready ;D I'll drive down, just let me a know a bit in advance. If you and your friend decide to allow other people to detect with you let me know.

Thanks

Jerry (Durham, NC)

BobG said:
I'm on the southern most coast of NC, Shallotte area.

I was up near the Bentonville battle ground last weekend looking into hunting a 40 acre field with the owner for Civil War relics.
I did find a shot mini-ball and will return when my friend gets a metal detector. We plan on doing a systematic hunt. It will take us forever it seems.

It just may take a group to do this, as there's plenty more fields to hunt. That'll be his call though.

If you ever get down this way, let me know.

NCHermit

Dec 15, 2005
I'm also new to detecting/THing.I'm in Wilmington.The area has a long history of Pirates,Revolutionary war,Civil war and a bunch of beaches and lakes frequented by tourist and locals alike.I have met Bob and gone fishing with him a couple times.He's a real nice guy!I hope to go with him sometime in the future to hunt those fields.If anyone is comming to the area,maybe we could hook up and hunt!

H

hunterofmud

New to this I live in New Bern Nc and would like to meet some peaple around me that would like to teach me what to look for

BobG

Oct 28, 2005
You've got plenty of historical area in and around New Berne.

Read and obsorb all you can and learn your machine. That's what I'm trying to do, and have a large cup full of coins, 1 silver dime, and 1 silver ring so far.

I live near the beach in the southern most part of eastern NC. I've met some very nice follks here, but haven't had the time yet to get with many, due to work schedules.

Don't be timid about it, charge ahead and good hunting.

KalamazooHunter

Mar 26, 2005
Kalamazoo, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Ah, I think you guys have answered my question. I live in Michigan but have some friends in NC that I was going to go visit this summer. Someone had told me that Metal detecting is not allowed in North Carolina. But I think, according to your posts, that it is?? Can you hunt any public land and beach?

Please help, I'd hate to bring my detector and get down there and get booted out of a park or get in trouble with the men in blue.

Tara

X_MIKE_X

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
Statesville ,North Carolina
i live in statesville nc , and just went out the first time with my metal detector today :) i been seeing this house that looked old , for a few years , didnt find anything lol :) but i enjoyed using my metal detector, i had since 1997 for the first time. lol i only have a radioshack DISCOVERY 3000. i guess i never used it cause i thought it was against the law to just go some place and use it?

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
X_MIKE_X said:
i live in statesville nc , and just went out the first time with my metal detector today :) i been seeing this house that looked old , for a few years , didnt find anything lol :) but i enjoyed using my metal detector, i had since 1997 for the first time. lol i only have a radioshack DISCOVERY 3000. i guess i never used it cause i thought it was against the law to just go some place and use it?

Well it is if you don't have permission. You can't just go 'someplace and use it' without knowing the laws. It is pretty easy to find out, just call or visit the city hall parks department and ask. Not sure what NC public land rules are, but here in MO all the state parks are off limits to detecting. There is a big fine and confiscation of all your equipment if your caught. Private land should be ok if you have the owners permission.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys, I'm in NC too. I just joined the board and am just getting into detecting. I live in Johnston County about 20 miles from Bentonville. My wife's family was from that area but they don't have any battlefield land. If anyone gets a hunt up, I would sure like to join in. Right now I'm hitting the playgrounds and old home sites. Lots of clads but no silver yet.
Mike

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Go to your county courthouse and ask for the old Government Survey Plats. Sometimes they have old maps already printed out for sale. These maps will show old roads, settlements, pioneer homesteads, Indian villages, river crossings, fort sites and crossroads. Should be enough sites to keep any TH'er busy for years. Remember in the old days, banks were scarce and not trusted so old pioneer homesteaders would cache their money in post hole banks. Good luck and post photos of finds.

FlAuthor

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
I live in Charlotte, N C and have a friend in Greenville, N C .She said her brother used to find alot of C. W Relic's in this area.She has no idea if he detected Fayetteville, Wilmington or where ever. I went to Bentonville with about 6 club members ( forgot how to spell ) about 25 years ago and paid the land owner to detect,. Every week he would take the money and buy more bullets and put them in the field ( I guess ) and this help paid for the amusement I guess.

Richard
In Charlotte, N C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread