Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve been hiking several old abandoned roads in the woods. They are on the 1867 maps and no houses are shown to be along them. Some of these roads might be 6 miles long.

The old roads in some places are boarded by stonewalls to the left & right, which I figure were put there to help guide travelers by letting them know they were on the main road & not on some side road. In other places the border walls just end and the road continues. When I see the areas with the border walls I feel like Iā€™m coming into an area where a cellar hole might be but I do not see any possible evidence of one, even when there is a definite opening in the wall that says to me come on in.

When looking at the aerial satellite maps I also see stonewalls go off in all directions that are squared off so these must have been pens, grazing fieldsā€¦etc..

What I canā€™t figure out is why out in the middle of nowhere they spent so much time squaring these areas off. In my mind there has to be a cellar hole someplace that these squared off areas belonged to.

Love to hear some of your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Roger
Maybe cabin sites there,before your maps...most cabins have no cellar hole....so look for the iron patch that tells you where the dwelling was.
Gary

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tip G.A..P.! Come to think, I came accross one like that last year.
How's the critter season been up there for you. Totaled my car the day before gun opener. Got 1 doe for the freezer anyway. Haven't laid a single trap either. Once yote season closes I'll be on the TH again.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
JOHUNT
I saw 3 good sized bucks in the pasture before the season 2,6point...1,8point opening day they were gone...got some big wolf`s here now so no coyotes, see some turkeys.
Can`t wait for warmer weather got a new Tek. Omega with 3 coils to try out in the dirt. and some outhouses to dig.
Gary
I have 1860 maps...and know 20 cabin sites that aren't on those maps... so no houses on the old road,i look for turns on that road or the Iron Patch.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread