D

Darod

navychief1968

Jan 7, 2005
Water Valley, MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Rod,

I hunt military bases all the time. I have hunted really too many to count. Most of the silver coins in my collection have come from them. A couple of places you should stay away from are; military housing (common areas are OK but peoples yards are not), landscaped areas, environmentally protected areas (spotted owl habitats and such), and secure areas. Check with base police and they can tell you were to avoid.

Here is a great reseach tool for old military bases: Check with the Public Affairs Office. They usually have old newspapers dating back to when the base opened. Old newspapers = old photographs. Look for where the commissary and PX used to be, that's where you will find your silver coins. Also look for where the barracks and athletic fields used to be located.

Good luck and let me know how it worked out for you.

Chris Reynolds
Chief Petty Officer, USN

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tryed to get permission to search FORT INDIANTOWN GAP, here in Pa, a few months ago, & was told they can't give me permission, because there may be Unexploded ordinance anywhere. The way he said it, I wasn't shure if he meant NO I COULDN'T or just NO HE CANT Risk SAYING I COULD, for fear of something happening. I DIDN'T WANNA ASK if I do anyway will I be subject to arrest & confiscation. I JUST GAVE UP......... I WENT TO RANGE CONTROL & ASKED THE SITE COMMANDER

OP
OP
D

Darod

I tryed to get permission to search FORT INDIANTOWN GAP, here in Pa, a few months ago, & was told they can't give me permission, because there may be Unexploded ordinance anywhere.

Jeff,

Patrick is an Air Force Base so I'm pretty sure there won't be any unexploded ordinance around. All we do here is support for the Shuttle. I'll check with Security Police anyhow just to make sure, better save than sorry :)

Chris,

thanks for the tips on locations to check. I'll do a bit of research starting tomorrow :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread