Need pointers for a coupke of killer hunts

Koroberts

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two big hunts coming up this year. The first is next month in Vicksburg, MS on 40 acres of family property. Lots of Civil War stuff, couple of old home sites and really who knows what else since the area was settled by the Spanish in the 1600s. The second hunt will be in the summer in northwest Nebraska. Red Cloud/Crazy Horse country. 1500 acres, 4 homesteads, 1 schoolhouse, most still standing. Sand hills. I will be the FIRST to ever hunt there. I'm looking for advice on gear, homemade equipment, etc. I'm hunting with an entry level detector, BH quicksilver. It doesn't get deep but it doesn't lie. Not a lot of money to throw around atm. I can possibly afford some upgrades but a new rig is out of budget. I'm all about the homemade stuff. Would love to hear some tips!

Last edited:

noobie

Jan 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd2 tesoro compadre Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a Garrett pro pointer and if you can upgrade to the fisher f2 it's supposed to be good for relics I'm getting to soon gl and happy hunting

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your BH will find stuff that is not too deep but will still find things. If you are going to get serious in this hobby you will have to invest in a better machine that will reach the depths that a lot of targets are going to be. You don't have to buy new. A lot of great machines can be bought used. Go with a brand name like Whites, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab or Tesoro. You can still get some very good machines in the $300 to $400 range. . Also I have bought several machines since I started in 1979 and I have paid all of them off in the first year by the finds that I found. My first machine was a White's 5000-D I bought in 1979 for $250 and paid it off the first day I took it out. I found several old Model A and T car parts and sold them for several hundred dollars. Good luck on your hunts and keep us posted on how you do.

noobie

Jan 21, 2013
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter qd2 tesoro compadre Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking on getting the Garrett At pro when I get more serious but I almost have enough for the fisher f2 on Sunday I'm going to this park last Sunday I got 4 dimes 1 quarter 14 penny's and possibly a silver earring I'm going to get it tested.

springtide

Nov 18, 2012
Koroberts - my advice is if you can't afford an upgraded rig then get an equal or lesser one. That way at least you have backup. What happens if your single unit dies while on one of these trips? It sounds like you'd be done detecting. Just a thought.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the f2 won't go any deeper just has more features. get a 16 dollar pinpointer from harbor freight to help you find things in the hole quicker

OP
OP
K

Koroberts

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call on the extra. Talked to the wife and father in law and found out there's an old trading post site on the property so a new rig will be purchased by the time I get to Nebraska. Probably going to be in the $500 +/- 100 range. Soooooo... New rig suggestions with pros and cons... If you feel like it... What would you use?

OP
OP
K

Koroberts

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and thanks dimedigger. I have the BH pinpointer that came with the MD. It's not amazing but it gets the job done.

OP
OP
K

Koroberts

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got about an hour in today on an old home site in Vicksburg. LOTS of iron. Going back out tomorrow if its not to soggy.

OP
OP
K

Koroberts

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this stuff. I have no idea what the big piece is. Any takers?

Attachments

• image-2017387639.jpg
    image-2017387639.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 152
  • image-4126707697.jpg
    image-4126707697.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 165
  • image-56082920.jpg
    image-56082920.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 179
OP
OP