Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero w/ 9x8 & 5.75 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prepping to hunt c. 1820's Schoolhouse

I recently came across a early 1800's wooden frame schoolhouse. I have contacted the owner and hopefully will get her permission to detect the site very soon. I would lie any tips or advice as to how to handle the hunt(s). I am using a Tesoro Vaquero MD and would lie some tips on how best to hunt this detector in All
Metal mode since I want to really get at the stuff surrounding the schoolhouse. Thanks in Advance.

Attachments

• schoolhouse small.jpg
    schoolhouse small.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
Don't be suprised if it's trashy and iron infested. Those old sites can be a nightmare. If its a virgin site I'd grid it off, dig the surface stuff out of the way and then harvest the old deep stuff. And depending on the ground, 1820's relics could be deep! Go slow and in different directions. If you have more than one day take your time and you'll score some awesome relics.

OP
OP
Dtektor

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be suprised if it's trashy and iron infested. Those old sites can be a nightmare. If its a virgin site I'd grid it off, dig the surface stuff out of the way and then harvest the old deep stuff. And depending on the ground, 1820's relics could be deep! Go slow and in different directions. If you have more than one day take your time and you'll score some awesome relics.

That sounds like great advice! I recently learned a valuable lesson on an old home site. I walked in to the ruins and tried to GB my Vaquero. It was acting funny so I moved over a bit and it balanced ok. Then I started swinging and got some hits. When I began to dig the first "target" I plunged my Lesche straight into a huge piece of roof tin!! As I looked around more carefully, I realized that almost an entire roof of tin was covered just below the pine straw and leaf litter. I shut her off and got back into my truck cause I wasn't into moving god knows how many sheets of tin that day!! LoL!

OP
OP
Dtektor

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention that I will probably be accompanied by a couple other more experienced detectorists so we will have it covered pretty well I think. I am really excited about this one though cause I now a man whose father attended school there as a young boy and he is just at 100 yrs old now.

Kyboy

Dec 27, 2009
Hardin county KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Minelab Explorer II
Garret GTAX 550
100 huh?! That's certainly a milestone age. The things he's seen and done would fill volumes....
My father is close to 80 and he has some great stories, and advice to share. I love talking to seniors....so much they give you in life experience knowledge.

OP
OP
Dtektor

Dtektor

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 huh?! That's certainly a milestone age. The things he's seen and done would fill volumes....
My father is close to 80 and he has some great stories, and advice to share. I love talking to seniors....so much they give you in life experience knowledge.
True Dat Kyboy! Mine is 84, Mom is just 80, Dad-in-law 80, Mom-in-law 78. Things could get interesting 'round here in a year or two!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread