Fun game... Date that flat button... And go!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Tombac Buttons.jpg
    Tombac Buttons.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 173
  • tombacs.JPG
    tombacs.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll let you two duke it out. I do know however it's old.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don in SJ & Iron Patch, you both are admirable in that I have learned a lot regarding what I know for sure is an old button. Thank you both for your info. Any word on what my button is worth...like the one in this post?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ & Iron Patch, you both are admirable in that I have learned a lot regarding what I know for sure is an old button. Thank you both for your info. Any word on what my button is worth...like the one in this post?

The plain ones would only be worth a few cents. Designed ones a bit more depending on whether it's a flower or GW, or something else.

OP
OP
relicmagnet

relicmagnet

Feb 25, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro DMCIIB and At Pro Pinpointer
To whom it may concern the button I have found is in fact a tombac button per really nice old lady at the museum of the confederacy in richmond Virginia.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To whom it may concern the button I have found is in fact a tombac button per really nice old lady at the museum of the confederacy in richmond Virginia.

Don and I between us have 35 years+ hunting Colonial sites so if you want to go with the nice old lady on this one please do. (At some point you'll figure it out)

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At what point in time does Colonial end? I've heard all the way into the 1830s.

Rudy74

Feb 1, 2013
Rush springs, oklahoma
Detector(s) used
an old sears discriminator, switchin to a garret AT pro metal detector with 8.5 x 11 w/ pro formation DD coil real soon i hope
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome button but really it could be from the French and indian war the revolutionary war but I think it is English button hard to tell do the powder test on the button put a light sprinkle of baby powder on it and see if an image shows up and take a pic and show us that's the only way to really get a good look at the design. but good find man totally awesome.

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x

RelicMagnet, I have to agree with Don & Iron Patch. These guys are like the go to guys on said era relics. My brother, NovaTreasure, which is also on Tnet took me to a cornfield the other day in which I found my first Tombac Flat Button which looks nothing like your button. My brother confirmed my find as a Tombac as he also has about 25 years experience.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a tombac I just found and will post soon. I agree with Ironpatch Tombacs are silvery and shiney or at least that was my understanding either way I love buttons .

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
definitely not a "tombac" type button , a large colonial or post colonial "Dandy" dress button 1770's to about 1790's

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say no later then early 1790's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread