lightning strikes 1

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Howdy folks,

Was out at the old homestead for the last couple days. Partly looking for arrowheads and partly MD'g.

I've hammered the old cabin location for some time now. Have found seated dimes (cc mint) shield nickel, brass ring, and lots of shell casings of various caliber as well as ball shot from percussion arms.

This trip I decided to try what I have always thought had to be the old road out to the nearest trading post. No road goes this way anymore. But there was a intriguing rock wall still apparent in several places that went around the side of a rocky outcrop along the creek.

DSC00358.JPG

So off I go...1st signal .22 LR casing. Next one a 20 gua shotgun shell. Crap. Then a strong signal.

Sounded like a big silver, but my luck told me it was really a can or...after 8" of digging hit a solid metal object. Shoot, top of a broken t-post I just knew it. No there was a piece that ran sideways. I hit it 2" farther out, still metal and again

2" it kept going. I went out 4" and was past it. Did some scratching around

DSC00142.jpg oh, an old farm wrench... DSC00143.jpg then I still thought a pipe wrench...no Hell No as I pulled this out...

DSC00144.jpg DSC00145.jpg I still thought a Kids' gun, but no kids were around here. Man, I kept saying "You gotta be sh#$@^ing me" over and over. Never in a million years a "wild west six gun". YEE-HAW!!!

The early history of Brown County Tx is filled with violence and mayhem. Heck they say it was so slow to take off from 1860-1880's due to marauding indians and white desperados. Suspected gang members of John Wesley Hardin were hung in 1874 a short ways off in Commanche, Tx.

This is the some of the background story of what the country was like then.

the wifes ancestors had to have guns for defense and this may have been one of them lost along the way.

Trying to Id revolver at this time ver on "whats this".

Hope you enjoyed.

BW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread