Was anyone aware of these relic laws?

mavrick03

Sep 29, 2004
Stafford Va
UPDATE OF COMPILATION OF STATE REPATRIATION, REBURIAL AND GRAVE PROTECTION LAWS (July 1997)

take note that mainly covers the protection of graves

mav

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
We have laws to protect burial sites because some people show no respect for the dead.? I do not understand why some people will loot a grave site...they are the scum of the earth in my opinion.? I am of the opinion that most burial sites that have been looted are Native American sites.? Evidently people loot the burial sites for the artifacts that were often buried with the American Indian...and this is the wrong thing to ever do!? If you find a burial site, please leave the immediate area and do not disturb the graves, let the people rest in peace.? Some of us have burial sites on our land, and we will not hesitate one moment to notify the local law enforcement agencies if we catch someone disturbing the burial site of an American Indian.? Again, please do not disturb a burial site.? Kelley (Texas)

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
However, PROFESSIONAL looters of graves are called Archeologists. Laws don't seem to
affect them too much. Think 'King Tut'....

I always get a laugh at Discovery or TLC shows where an archeologist gripes that 'early
grave robbers stole all the grave goods' - in other words, 'someone beat me to it'

Zommbee

S

SASQUASH

Hay guys I hope you don't hate me for this but after a time or just the fact that the old family plots are forgotten about to be plowed up for housing or such if I had a chance to go in I would. Don't get me wrong just last year I found the remains of a buried Indian in a shallow grave I thought I had a animal till I got to the fiemer I put it all back & tried to let the right people know nobody wanted him & he would be soon washing out with all this rain I went back to put more rocks on it then waved the M.D. over the area just to see nothing. 6 months later I find a tooth in some crushed bones way out by the Salton sea I thought what I saw in the tooth was filling so I got concerned & looked closer with the help of the local dentist & others we find that it is shot gun led hum must have gotten shot in the face. This was a small package that was eroding out of the side of a small hill the package was something like tin foil & was about 5in x 12in. went to the local police they laughed no really they did. I still have the tooth will try to get pic's for you. My OPINION for what it is worth is that if after I'm dead & buried some one wants to dig me up for the loot that is in my dead hand go for it take my bones too I wont need them where I'm going . SASQUASH

S

SASQUASH

Hay JIMMY thanks for all the good info. for the state I live in thats cool SASQUASH.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
Zommbee my laugh also . what is an archy if not a grave robber ? oh....they have permission...its you and i that are in the wrong !!!

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It really irritates me when I see these archeologists legally digging people up! What right does anyone on this earth have to do that!!!??? No, I wouldn't do it but should another person be in trouble for doing it when archys do the same thing? I guess not but I really think the archys should be put in jail or fined if other people are out digging and they get in trouble for it. Just my 2 cents. Sara

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It was like I said on another post, the Archies do it for the money too. They show the Gov. some area that could be interesting so they apply for Federal Grant money of which who knows how much is actually spent on the project and how much goes for their Salaries. They then try to show how they saved a certain site from whatever and thus get to pat themselves on the back and show the world what great saviors they are. Just remember they use your own money against you.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not hunt graves or burial sites. It kind of like giving the deceased there own space out of respect. A battle or crash site would be different. As long as I did not find any remains I probably would hunt these, with permission.

Ed

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They can loot my grave. I got a friend who is a rebel who is going to pick up my ashes and scatter them all over the state of Colorado (which is Illegal). I can just see a forensics team running over the mountains trying to pick up my ashes so they can get enough evidence to arrest him. I will have some humor after death.

Wild Boulder

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread