Help dating and ID ing an Old plow part please?

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is James Oliver invented the "steel" plow and it was found on a 1700's era farm homestead. Don't know where to start because I'm no tractor guy, just a metal detectorist that found what looks to me like a plow end. The part that rips up the dirt? Oh well it has OLIVER and below that 83 . D . DS . 11" S It appears after banging nearly 2 inches of rust off to have a red color around the numbers?? Can anyone tell me when it was made, what its called etc etc. Many thanks for any help!!

Bigketchie

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is James Oliver invented the "steel" plow and it was found on a 1700's era farm homestead. Don't know where to start because I'm no tractor guy, just a metal detectorist that found what looks to me like a plow end. The part that rips up the dirt? Oh well it has OLIVER and below that 83 . D . DS . 11" S It appears after banging nearly 2 inches of rust off to have a red color around the numbers?? Can anyone tell me when it was made, what its called etc etc. Many thanks for any help!!

Can you post a pic Ed

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plow.JPG
Can you post a pic Ed

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It is an old Oliver plow point, but it's hard to know how old it might be unless an Oliver dealer can trace the numbers somehow. They have been making them pretty much the same for many years.

OP
OP
Fast Ed

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cooperstown Farmers museum said the #83 refers to the year it was made 1883. Thanks for the help once again creskol!
It is an old Oliver plow point, but it's hard to know how old it might be unless an Oliver dealer can trace the numbers somehow. They have been making them pretty much the same for many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread