Old Farm Property

onadraw

Sep 28, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excalibur II, Tesoro Lobo ST, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tomorrow, I have permission to detect on about 100 acres that has been an active Hay Farm since at least 1903.

I typically only hunt at the beach so would love any tips for searching this type of property.

Also, would it be better to spend time detecting the field or around the perimeter? Its 100 acres of open hay field with the original house (built 1903) in the middle. It is still occupied. The only trees are around the edges. I'm not sure yet if any of the trees are very old.

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi...1st. you say "Hay Farm",is it ever plowed up so you can look for clues like broken pottery,glass,metal etc.? 2nd. thing would be to talk to the folks that live in the house to see what the history of the property is.Also you could look up the property on old plat maps from the 1800's & early 1900's to see if & where other buildings once stood.Try out Historicmapworks for plat maps....once there click on search & then type in your county & state,you should see a list of maps(atlases). Good luck.

Last edited:

trhinehart32

May 3, 2012
Check all around the trees good I've found a lot of things and that will let u no maybe what's there good luck hope u do good

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck,can't wait to see what you found.

trhinehart32

May 3, 2012
Check all around the trees good I've found a lot of things and that will let u no maybe what's there good luck hope u do good

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to locate where the out house was....check any entrance ways to the house......If you are interested in old farming implements then the field would be a possibility as farmers would bury their junk in the fields......found an 1883 Oliver plow tip in a farmers field a few weeks ago....

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use www.historicaerials.com to see if they have old aerial views or old topo maps, that helps to locate where the old buildings stood. I'd concentrate around the buildings first. The fields will have some drops from farm equipment, horses, etc.

Good luck on your search!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread