New To Relic Hunting & Looking for Places in VA

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007
New To Relic Hunting & Looking for Places in VA

I am new to relic hunting and I was wondering where the best place to start is. I live in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania, VA and was raised up just west in Orange County, VA. I am surrounded by Civil War battlefields from the famous Wilderness Battle. I am going back home today(Mine Run) to do some relic hunting back in the woods. During the battle of Wilderness and Mine Run, the confederate march right through my mom and dad's property and through the woods. I am guessing this is a good place to start. The is a very old railroad bed that sits behind my mom and dad's house (back in the woods) that the Confederate use to use to watch for the Union Army, basically a lookout post. Does anybody else know of any good places around the Spotsylvania/Orange area? Thanks!!!

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Re: New To Relic Hunting & Looking for Places in VA

Sounds Like you have a great spot to start. I am in Tennessee do OK on Relics down here. Let us know how you do. Also let me know if you find to many relics and need some help digging them up I will head your way. Good luck and welcome to TN.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

I hope to be in Orange county soon doing some Mding on an old farm. If I were you I'd start by doing some research. Try the library of congress web site and look for maps of the area during the war, its a great place to start.

OP
OP
D

dsterry0578

Jan 20, 2007

I went on-line and found some maps of where the soldiers were located and both sides marched and fought right on my mom and dad's property. New Hope Church is shown on the maps and during that time it was a headquarters and a hospital for the soldiers, that church is only 300 yards away from my mom and dad's house. I might have been raised right in the middle of a Civil War Battlefield. I'm hoping to drive around soon and start looking at some spots to search. A mile down the road my brother found a US horse's bridal with some of the leather still attached and my uncle found an artillery shell that hadn't been discharged. There has to be something around for me to find.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Don't tell to much we might get jealous! ;)
A little list I (could) use:
1) research
2) prepare (i.e. get all stuff you need for a day hunting) ask for permission might be good here to, or before you go out
3) Check that you have everything shovel,batteries, knife etc.
4) Go out and hunt!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dsterry0578 said:
I am new to relic hunting and I was wondering where the best place to start is. I live in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania, VA and was raised up just west in Orange County, VA. I am surrounded by Civil War battlefields from the famous Wilderness Battle. I am going back home today(Mine Run) to do some relic hunting back in the woods. During the battle of Wilderness and Mine Run, the confederate march right through my mom and dad's property and through the woods. I am guessing this is a good place to start. The is a very old railroad bed that sits behind my mom and dad's house (back in the woods) that the Confederate use to use to watch for the Union Army, basically a lookout post. Does anybody else know of any good places around the Spotsylvania/Orange area? Thanks!!!
Jumpin Jehosaphat! :o If you don't find something good then somethings wrong.Has your parents property been searched or detected before? Did your brother and your uncle make their finds with a metal detector? I wouldn't worry about anymore places to detect just yet.Sounds like you may already have your hands full on your parents property.How close are you to the Rapidan? Remember,don't throw anything away,unless you know for sure it is a piece of modern trash.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Man, you ARE in the middle of it!

I have a couple of things that might help you. PM me and I'll email them to you.

DCMatt

Froggie

Feb 19, 2007
Stafford Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

DSTerry, did you hunt your parents property yet?
I am just getting into this, I'm in Stafford right near Aquia so I have TONS of places here too, I just need to fond out what I need to do to hunt the area's (if I can at all since most is historic land belonging to the state)

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome & good luck,

Fossis...........................

spanish silver

Greenie
Jul 3, 2015
Louisa county
Detector(s) used
Teknetics omega 8000,whites mxt pro and minelab gpx 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to hunt close to payn farm found a ton of bullets and canister shot would love to get back there but the guy that let me had some family problems and stopped letting me

BSK2112

Dec 13, 2015
NoVA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New on NoVA

Welcome & good luck,

Fossis...........................
Hello. I am new to relic hunting and live in the northern VA area. I have an AT pro but no real luck finding anything despite many hours googling and researching potential places. If anyone in the area would like a partner who is a history buff and also respectful of the land and laws, please let me know! I'd love to partner up with someone who is experienced!! Thanks!!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG TERRY DO YOU NEED ANY HELP . MAN YOU FIND I DIG WE SHARE, SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU FOR IT SEEMS AS IF YOU HAVE ONE HELL OF A PLACE TO HUNT ALL BY YOURSELF AND FULL OF HISTORY . MAN IF ONLY I COULD FIND A PLACE LIKE THAT ..... ARE YOU A NEW MEMBER ?AND IF SO WELCOME TO TNET ..

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
DANG TERRY DO YOU NEED ANY HELP . MAN YOU FIND I DIG WE SHARE, SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU FOR IT SEEMS AS IF YOU HAVE ONE HELL OF A PLACE TO HUNT ALL BY YOURSELF AND FULL OF HISTORY . MAN IF ONLY I COULD FIND A PLACE LIKE THAT ..... ARE YOU A NEW MEMBER ?AND IF SO WELCOME TO TNET ..

He was new when he posted made his original post, about 9 years ago, and hasn't logged into TN for 9 months. I guess I'm saying, I wouldn't expect a reply.

ScreenHunter_102 Jan. 13 19.53.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread