Iron ore mine used during civil war

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother owns 86+ acres including an iron ore mine used during the civil war for cannon balls, etc. The down side is one of the mine holes was used as a dump site from 1940-1970...(lots of trash)Is this area worth detectiing??? Spent about 2 hours there the other day with my BH, found a few clad coins from ATVers during the 90's. But i am thinking about taking my at pro back for a more thorough and deeper search. What is your opinion on this? Also there is parts of the tracks left visible in spots that were used to haul out the ore...Thanks, josh...

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No thoughts or suggestions? Could there be something cool from the time period there? An old coin perhaps???

mikecar007

Aug 19, 2012
Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharp Shooter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really never know, my oldest coin came from an iron ore mine. 1826 Netherlands 25 c piece. I dug a ton of slag that was reading silver though. If you have the time and access go for it. If there is any chance of open pits or loose ground, bring a friend and carry a rope.

JJohnson

Mar 14, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Explorer, XS, E-Trac, CTX-30/30
Garrett: Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give it a shot for sure. Some of my oldest coins and best relics came from the most un-likely places. Before I write a spot off, I have grid searched it and made sure there is nothing there. Look for likely spots where people would have walked to and from mine, sat under some shade, ate lunch, is there a creek or pond near by??, etc...HH...

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found 3ringer and belt buckle yesterday...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions