WWATS Announces HB2078 HAS PASSED

C

cachenut

Now thats the right response. It ain't over yet. The archaeologist job is still

there. It wil be business as usual as soon as the bill is passed into law. Anyway we don't klnow what isin there yet.

Here is my latest response to all delegates. Send your opinions before it comes to a vote. Please.

Topic: Oppose HB2078, Archaeologist in COVA's Pocket, Vote NO

Dear Sir or Madam Delegate:

Please vote against bill HB2078. It is a bad bill for both relic hunters and archaeologists. This bill and the attached archaeologist position has done more harm to our combined interests than any one person could ever do.

Even if everything is removed except the archaeologist?s position the original intent and goal of the bill is still there. The archaeologist would still have the same duties as before. It is just unwritten.

The goal of this bill is to restrict and limit relic hunting and artifact collecting in all its forms. It is not a bill supporting archaeology or property rights. It does in fact make relic hunting as it is practiced now illegal. A misdemeanor. I know of no one in my 20 plus years metal detecting who gets written permission.

In a meeting of COVA they discussed their plans for stopping what they call looting and group looting of archaeological sites. They put the meeting minutes on their website and directly mention this bill's intent and speaking to Delegate Van Landingham to sponsor this bill. It is a bill designed to stop what they call looting and group looting and what I call relic hunting. As they planned it this would be a state archaeologist in their pocket.

This is why I call it a bad bill. I do not want the state of Virginia to pay for an archaeologist who does not do archaeology but whose goal is to eliminate hobby metal detecting. Please do not fund this bill and vote against it when it comes for a vote.

I was shocked to see how much influence this small group COVA has on my state government. They seem to be closely tied into Department of Historic Resources. Unhealthy? They generate bills, write mission statements, write policy, determine responses, submit applicants, and who knows what else. I saw where they were even looking for money to hire lobbyists and mentioned getting APVA funds. I expect DHR would like to get them out of their hair too.

I was born in Virginia and one thing I do love is old buildings. I want to see them preserved. As I grew up in Winchester I saw many torn down to be replaced with shopping malls and parking lots. I also made many trips to the State Archives and Library. I love books to truly enjoy researching thru old documents prior to 1860. It is fascinating work. Please spend extra money on these. What the archaeologists want to preserve are all the rusty pieces of metal buried in the dirt about 150 years old.

Please don?t let them run the DHR or ruin my hobby.

Thank You,
Joe Wolfe
Winchester, Virginia

====================================================
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today may be the day. CALL & E-mail, VOTE NAY