Rikers displays...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any if you guys or gals spruce up Riker Mounts with colored felt, etc?

I'm trying to get ideas before i put together several of mine. Id appreciate any creative ideas and pictures!
I have only covered the white batting in the bottom of the Rikers boxes with colored cloth, to make artifacts stand out better. In example, white chert arrowheads do not "pop" out against a white backing, but cover the backing with red cloth, green cloth or black cloth and then your white artifacts can been seen easily.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

this last frame is of MODERN flint knapped points, they are not ancient:
attachment.php

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have only covered the white batting in the bottom of the Rikers boxes with colored cloth, to make artifacts stand out better. In example, white chert arrowheads do not "pop" out against a white backing, but cover the backing with red cloth, green cloth or black cloth and then your white artifacts can been seen easily. this last frame is of MODERN flint knapped points, they are not ancient:

I'm thinking of using some dark blue and crimson red felt on my Rikers... We have a lot of points that are that dark blue/purple and root beer colored flint. I think they will stand out well on colored felt.

Great info! Thanks for the pictures, very nice displays!

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've made some display cases for the grandkids points. Made of red oak, and has a flass company install the glass. I prefer velvet type material over felt. At some fabric stores, they will have a scrap bin you can check, and the prices are cheap.

Sorry no pictures, I have no camera, and the computer at the house has crapped out.

Best of luck,
Bill

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've made some display cases for the grandkids points. Made of red oak, and has a flass company install the glass. I prefer velvet type material over felt. At some fabric stores, they will have a scrap bin you can check, and the prices are cheap. Sorry no pictures, I have no camera, and the computer at the house has crapped out. Best of luck, Bill

Another interesting tip.

I imagine because the velvet texture is smoother and not as rough textured or scruffy looking like felt?

I did something similar, I made custom red oak and cedar framed for each size Riker mounts I use.

They slip into from the back. When installed, you can't see the Riker mounts at all and it looks very classy... But allows me to change my artifact displays every couple of months for a fresh look on the bookcases.

It allows me to "rotate" my theme and showcase particular Items as I see fit.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that idea.
I've made several hinged glass front cases and that would sure be alot easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread