Possible Revolutionary/Civil War Relic Found?

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
Friends of my wife are building a new house and in the digging for the new foundation they found a lead ball with a hole through it. They seem to think it is a cannon ball but I don't believe so. I didn't get to see the ball but they made it sound like the hole was made to have the ball easily transported by sliding it on a dowel of some type. I can only assume they know the difference between iron and lead. However, I am wondering if it is a relic of some type. The area is in southeastern North Carolina that once had Revolutionary and Civil War activity.

I would love to take my metal detector and do some relic hunting for the first time, just wondering if this would be a good sign.

Thanks in advance

T

TreasureTales

I have no idea what your friends found, but it wouldn't hurt to go detect their property (with their permission, of course LOL). Maybe you can take some pix of their relic while you're there?

OP
OP
dredre7

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
I guess I have an open invitation to detect on the property, so maybe I will check it out soon.

Thanks

T

TreasureTales

dredre7 said:
I guess I have an open invitation to detect on the property, so maybe I will check it out soon.

Thanks

Don't wait too long. You know the expression: Strike while the iron is hot.

Go ASAP.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
A hole that goes ALL the way through ? That would not be a cannon ball, the threaded fuse only went on one end. Sounds more like a counter weight for something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions