ID help please

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with arrowhead I think the squashed thing is a lighter case that's been smashed flat.

Something like this:

c6zmj0-i.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you want to think man where I found it was vacated long before lighters like that were made
I guess your not taking into account its wider at one end then it is on the other..also It was found with later 1800's and early 19 hundreds items.. Found at the same depth in an undisturbed site.. Shows all the expected patina for the material of that age... There were no modern items found at all in the area..ect...

Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was definitely a surprised when I first realized what it was ..it looked like chain from a chainsaw or maybe a bicycle or something when it was stuck in the dirt

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was definitely a surprised when I first realized what it was ..it looked like chain from a chainsaw or maybe a bicycle or something when it was stuck in the dirt

I bet it was. When I first saw you post it I thought it was a skip-tooth bicycle chain until I looked closer. What a cool find. Also I agree with you in the scrolled piece. Judging from the taper I would GUESS a very fancy sheath or scabbard. Just my guess anyway. I would like to find my way to a spot like you have found. Some really cool stuff coming out of there.
JimK

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply do a bunch of research I literally spend more time researching by far then actually detecting anywhere.
I go to several different places scattered around the state really.
Most times I find the key is locating the places that have been forgoten by time .. Most out of the way and not easy to get to

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far our best spot is a localy well known (private property) field that has been pounded for many years. But we are still doing good there. We have a few more permissions, one is near the Kentucky river between Camp Nelson and Camp Dick Robinson. I have high hopes for that one. And we may get a permission for a field that was part of Camp Nelson (private property still). But I must admit I am not much of a researcher. But I do try to network, get friends to ask friends etc.

JimK

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only part I don't like about networking is that right from the beginning your sharing the spot...which might not be that bad..but a lot of times it gets gone over when your not there...or...you were only told about it after someone already cleaned out most of the high tones.. Probably because they did the research and found the spot

Last edited:

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see that but I have no idea really how to get started on the research side of things.

JimK

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start by learning the early history of where you live...it leads to an overall understanding of where on this big country your are...and how your town got there and where it started.
That should get you started ... After that..you'll... "Get it"... And you'll be busy..lol

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I started out researching and hunting for things thousands of years old then moved to metal detecting as well... the research got much easier because there's so much more info out there on that subject

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mmm k...
Coming up... Let me take some pics.
bb

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know where the third on is... it like the one... but longer...

DSC00693 (1).JPG

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice...
You dug these?
Makes me feel bad mines all buggered up

txhawkeye2534

Jan 30, 2015
Harker Heights Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -White's MXT
White's DFX300 - White's Spectra 3i
White's Coin Master-Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right it is really hard to look at the picture and see the tapering down but with that said it is still a great find. Good Job!

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all of the advise. Don't want to hijack the thread so I will just say thanks and save questions for another time.

JimK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread