Are CW Buckles possibly a CW Grave?

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
My answer to that is no. Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Graves are holes dug in the ground where people are buried. The buckles I have found are three to four inches deep. I believe lost or discarded. Not buried.

OP
OP
foolishgold

foolishgold

Feb 15, 2014
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in the manner that blood was shed in the civil war. Most anywhere near a battle or skirmish was a grave. Bodies just laid on top of the ground for many many years after the civil war. The union had a method after the civil war for trying to find and bury these people but the confederates were never given that. Read up.

G

gman17

I've though about this too. Maybe not a grave as been buried , but a body may have been there and over time all that is left is iron, lead and brass. The same way a dead animal disappears overtime, but in my opinion 99% of the stuff we dig is lost or tossed . I makes you think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
foolishgold

foolishgold

Feb 15, 2014
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. Embalming was rare and so traces of bones would usually be long gone.

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I have seen cases of buried and in most u would also find buttons and many other smaller items that may have been on that person. If such as that happens to me I will contact someone cause I would have a problem with it. I do have high morals but a buckle all alone I don't see it.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Well in the manner that blood was shed in the civil war. Most anywhere near a battle or skirmish was a grave. Bodies just laid on top of the ground for many many years after the civil war. The union had a method after the civil war for trying to find and bury these people but the confederates were never given that. Read up.

Wow....., really? I didnt know that......

OP
OP
foolishgold

foolishgold

Feb 15, 2014
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the documentary "death and the civil war"

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's Embalming have to do with the condition of the bones?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gman17 has the right of it. Most buckles that are found (especially US buckles) are due to an equipment failure, a desire to shed weight, feeling like you're more of a target with a bright shiny brass target at your waist or on your chest, even being taken prisoner and being forced to shed the belt your sidearm is strapped to. Also, another possible source is a sloppy quartermaster or sutler. The Union army was well supplied in the field. In fact, that's why when searching for a Union camp it's a good idea to pay attention to what iron you're finding. They burned crates that supplies came in and that's where many of the nails came from. I was a DIV years ago and there were several quartermaster hut holes dug that had a lot of canteens, uniform insignia, etc., still in them. Why do you suppose they just left all that behind?

If it was a grave from an unrecovered body, there would be more acroutrements (eating utensils, buttons, etc.) around it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
foolishgold

foolishgold

Feb 15, 2014
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a plausible and likely idea. Bones could easily be gone after 150 years. Just thought it was a interesting thought.

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we all poop ourselves when we die:
plane wreck, ship wreck, gun shot, hanging from that branch, smashed up mangle of limbs in what once was a vehicle of transportation.. and all possible scenarios thus far.
the flesh denying the continuation of drawn breath for the life of a man. consideration of "proper" ethics on our recycling is only a concern of the living. thus, anything goes.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. Embalming was rare and so traces of bones would usually be long gone.

You still find bones of 9000 year old native americans on creeks and rivers from erosion so yes the bones are still there. On occasion a soldiers body or remains are found in my town during construction. The sad thing though after a battle most anything of value was removed. Buckles and buttons had value. The official war records mentions the thief's robbing the dead after battles with orders to shoot the scavengers. I know a lot of relic hunters and not one has ever dug a burial after getting a hit on their machine. Lots of times due to the nature of war they did not have a chance to recover or retrieve many of the things they were carrying and it got lost in time. That is where we come in and hopefully find and preserve the items. Couple of years ago a guy dug a bunch of CW buttons that had been put on a string and part of the string was still there. I think it made banner.

OP
OP
foolishgold

foolishgold

Feb 15, 2014
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good information. Got a link to the threaded buttons?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone once wrote an article describing the decaying effect of the human body on the plates. According to the article, the plates would come out in pretty bad condition from reaction to the decay process.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
A prairie rancher excavates by accident the bones of former inhabitants of his world, one he preserves,
the next he covers permanently with respect. Eventually all three return to the ground they all walked
and treasured.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread