Newbie with a bell find

armycopter

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I have been lurking for a while now. My brother and I bought Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II's last month for use while we scuba dive here in the northeast. Since we are still a month or two from getting wet we are trying to learn how to use our machines since we are both brand new to metal detecting. There is a bit of learning curve to say the least.

My first try was on an old homestead across the street from my house. The land is for sale so I was able to track down the owner and ask for permission. They said yes and if I found a large pile of gold would I buy them a new truck! I thought that was funny. The house is long gone so its just a field and the remnants of a cellar hole. Unfortunately people dump stuff there like wood and rocks and other fill. My detector was going off every two feet. After digging up everything I and killing myself, I gave up. I might try the field at some point.

Today my daughter and I walked my property. I have about 3.5 acres of mostly wooded lot. There is a stream that runs through the side of my property so I tried to stay down near there. I found a lot of old barbed wire which surprised me because my lot is really really wooded. Then I found what looked like a cow or goat bell? That was really cool and my daughter was pretty excited (she's 12). I also found a giant square spike and some kind of clip. Maybe it held the barbed wire at one point. I found what looked like a line of barbed wire that ran from the main road all along the stream so I can only guess that a farmer used it to keep his animals in but with access to the water.

Its pretty cool finding historical stuff. Especially on your own property. I never would have guessed there were farm animals here.

Here is a pic of the stuff...

f36e124e26a511c4528192ee19fee9b8.jpg
[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing I would definitely stick with that cellar hole area.. Maybe try figuring out what may have been the front and back yard .. Try by trees that are larger than the surrounding ones.
If nothing else just detect a 10 by 10 foot area at a time ....clearing out every sound.
I'm so glad my detector makes different sounds and give different readings for different metal

OP
OP
A

armycopter

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gatorboy, I will give that cellar hole another shot. I don't really think my MD is the right style for areas with lots of trash but I am getting more used to it now. For example after digging up about 10 pieces of old barbed wire, I can now pretty much identify it before digging. If the signal run in a long fairly straight area it's most likely wire...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig the " level" sounding signals.. Not the ones that are jumpy or have a high squeak at the end...that may help you..they kinda just go..."weee...weeee... weee.. Lol... And sound basically the same from every direction.
..your welcome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread