underground railroad

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I was recently told of a 2 mile tunnel that was a stretch of the infamous underground railroad. This tunnel runs through property i have permission on and am wondering what everybody thinks about me snooping around. Part of me thinks it would be just neat to see, another part wants to find any old relics, but the biggest part of me thinks that even though its long forgotten in local history that it is still a significant historical site and shouldnt be touched. Am I being ridiculous?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 2 mile tunnel? Something like that would take years to build, would require a huge amount of skilled labor and would be far from being a "secret" escape route. If it's there, it would be incredible to search, but I have doubts you will find an actual tunnel.

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out, HUNT it ! SAFETY first, if it does exist it's over 150 years old. hunt safe, and good luck.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres a lot of things you have to think about when dealing with stories like this.Thats a major construction undertaking.Is it dug through soil,rock.If through soil it has to be shored up,then you still have to deal with any water and eventual collapse,it has to be maintained.Through rock,it would of taken years to accomplish.

OP
OP
Indianametal

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
I dont believe the tunnel was constructed for the underground railroad but was used for it. This part of Indiana is littered with underground tunnels from old coal mines. The tunnel is suppose to run from an old farm house that still stands and runs due north to the river where they would then head to Lafayette via boat.

The topic came up because we were talking about unsolved murders in the area and 20yrs ago a student came up missing the sheriff's searched the whole strecth of tunnel that could be navigated. I guess there was a collapse in the middle but both ends were still open to crawl into.

Me and the property manager will probably go next week and see if we can locate it. Unsure about searching until we find it.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If near the river it could of started out as a smugglers tunnel.It would of been far more profitable to invest the time building the tunnel for smuggling than for freeing slaves.Might find some good stuff if that would be the case.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds cool if you can find it! Just, as previously stated, be safe! There's a reason most people are told not to play in mine shafts (they don't always come back lol)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread