Planted Target for Calibration

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
While doing some recent tests in my backyard test garden, I got to thinking about the fact that environmental conditions can radically affect how your machine handles deep targets. Has it ever occurred to anyone to plant a target for calibration purposes at a site they've been hunting for a while and might be hunting for a while yet? Seems to me that if you have a known target at a specific depth, in ground you're hunting, it's easier to tell how to adjust your machine to get the optimal results for that specific ground. Yes, it will take a bit for that target to reflect true conditions as the soil density will have to re-establish itself. However, if you burrow into the side wall of the hole and push the target into the dirt, instead of just dumping it at the bottom, it will give a truer reading faster. Anway, just a thought I would share on how we might be able to squeeze just a few more targets out of hard worked areas.

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea but what if someone else comes along with a detector and plucks it from the dirt? In my area there are not many detectorists around. I use a F75 SE and I believe it's the only one in my town. I've only seen a hand full of people detecting and they were using Bounty Hunters so I guess I could plant the target out of their detecting range.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, this is most useful on private sites, where you've got permission to hunt and you're pretty sure no one is going to come in behind you. But, yeah, plant the calibration target at close to your max depth and you'll be able to optimize your settings every time you back.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Planting a target for calibration sound like a good idea but won't work in practice because the targets your really looking for will not behave as your freshly buried thang. But, hey, go for it. It's better use of you time than following the ole lady into shoe stores or worse, Wal-Mart.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Planting a target for calibration sound like a good idea but won't work in practice because the targets your really looking for will not behave as your freshly buried thang. But, hey, go for it. It's better use of you time than following the ole lady into shoe stores or worse, Wal-Mart.
As Sandman said, you have to take into consideration it's an item that hasn't had time to leech an oxide halo around it and then you have freshly disturbed soil above it. Good idea, but don't expect dead on perfect results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread