Collar Button 1915

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I thought I would post this find with you..in case you ever run across one and want to know what it is. It's called a Collar Button and was used with men's detachable collars in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Here is a website about collar buttons of all kinds: http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/collarsmen.htm
I believe the one I have was used to attach a man's stiff starched collar in the back. It is made of some type of metal..looks copper/brass. I collect buttons and found this in a jar of old antique buttons. The front says Snugfit collar button Pat May 11-15. The back says Mfd by Weichman Mfg. Co. Youngstown, Ohio. I have no idea of it's worth.

Attachments

• snugfitup.JPG
    snugfitup.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,315
  • snugfitbackup.JPG
    snugfitbackup.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,261
S

SASQUASH

Hay thats cool never have come acrossed one yet. SASQUASH

reweichman

Mar 6, 2009
I just found this topic. My father invented the Snugfit Collar button and sold them throughout the world until the attached collar shirt took over in the early 1930's. Anyone who has one of these, it is certainly a collector's item. I would suggest putting it on Ebay.
R. Earle Weichman

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
reweichman said:
I just found this topic.  My father invented the Snugfit Collar and sold them throughout the world until the attached collar shirt took over in the early 1930's.  Anyone who has one of these, it is certainly a collector's item.  I would suggest putting it on Ebay.
R. Earle Weichman

Welcome to Treasurenet!  It's pretty rare that someone posts a fact like that here! 

How very cool....  :thumbsup:

Too bad the original poster has not been around in such a ong time and will never read this...

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I just found this reply and will surely write Mr. Weichman and thank him for this very interesting information! And hi Montana Jim!

Happy Hunting!
Marcia the treasure_lady (now in Texas!)

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reweichman said:
I just found this topic. My father invented the Snugfit Collar button and sold them throughout the world until the attached collar shirt took over in the early 1930's. Anyone who has one of these, it is certainly a collector's item. I would suggest putting it on Ebay.
R. Earle Weichman

Welcome, & thanks for the information, very intresting.

Fossis....................

reweichman

Mar 6, 2009
Snugfit collar button

Weichman Mfg Co ceased business in 1931, he died in 1969 and I am his son who is now 89 (2015). Pending on the condition, the value could be $7 to $100; I plan to give one to the Smithsonian. I live in La Quinta CA.
Earle Weichman

I thought I would post this find with you..in case you ever run across one and want to know what it is. It's called a Collar Button and was used with men's detachable collars in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Here is a website about collar buttons of all kinds: http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/collarsmen.htmI believe the one I have was used to attach a man's stiff starched collar in the back. It is made of some type of metal..looks copper/brass. I collect buttons and found this in a jar of old antique buttons. The front says Snugfit collar button Pat May 11-15. The back says Mfd by Weichman Mfg. Co. Youngstown, Ohio. I have no idea of it's worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread