Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cufflinks front.jpg cufflinks back.jpg

Hi all;
I found these cufflinks about two weeks ago. (Sorry for the lack of size reference given in the pics. The oval is only a touch less 3/4" long and 3/8" wide)
Interesting digger's story:
I dug the signal, which indicated a probable brass button, but not as clear as a single signal.
I removed first one oval with a loop on the back.
At first, I thought I had a button, but I have never found an oval button from the colonial era, which this obviously was.
It was pretty pitted and dark for most brass pcs. around here.
As always, I rechecked the hole before covering and got another very clear signal. I gently dug the second oval pc. and the large oval loop, which fell off and disappeared back into the hole. put them all in my hand and WOW ! I knew then I had one sleeve cufflink. I could barely see it had a design on the plates, I was excited to say the least.

When I researched it online, I found that generally, it seems the fewer the joining links, the earlier the pc. Also, the more ovular the links, the older.
The plate and loop definitely fit button designs of early 1600's to early 1700's. But now putting it all together, I began to think this may be the oldest find I have to date.
I am thinking that it matches a mid to late 1600's design, even down to the hand engraved design on the plates.

As excited as I am about this, it's the truth I really desire so-
What say ye all?

Last edited:

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Is a very cool find, I haven't found something close to as old as that!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. I reposted this on one of the other forums to get more feedback and the guys seemed to think its late 1700's. which is cool by me, So not my oldest find, I don't think - but still OLD! I'll take it. lol
Have some happy hunting in 2015.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! EasternShoreMetal. I found a pair this past summer same size and shape as yours, but made of pewter. It has shield and pillars design, and lettering I can't make out, but I do clearly see the date 1769 on them. I'll post a pic when I get my camera back. Yours could be as old as you think, or early-mid 18th century like mine.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks relicmeister. Wow, yeah, post me a pic, it's be amazing to have a date on them..
This is still one of my favorite artifact finds. Because of age and the fact that it was in one piece, in the same hole anyway.
I see quite a few get posted with just one of the link sides.
The pewter sounds awesome too. HH!
(when we can see the ground again! lol)

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks relicmeister. Wow, yeah, post me a pic, it's be amazing to have a date on them..
This is still one of my favorite artifact finds. Because of age and the fact that it was in one piece, in the same hole anyway.
I see quite a few get posted with just one of the link sides.
The pewter sounds awesome too. HH!
(when we can see the ground again! lol)

I can post the pic Saturday-left my camera in ohio Christmastime, just getting it mailed back. Yeah, the cufflinks are about my favorite of finds, My camera is the only one that I can reliably get detailed pics of things where someone might be able to make out the rest of the lettering. I not only found this pair, but one half of the matching pair, too! Also foung a KGII 1754 halfpenny nearby. Your links are what my buddy calls red brass. They're beautiful

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can post the pic Saturday-left my camera in ohio Christmastime, just getting it mailed back. Yeah, the cufflinks are about my favorite of finds, My camera is the only one that I can reliably get detailed pics of things where someone might be able to make out the rest of the lettering. I not only found this pair, but one half of the matching pair, too! Also foung a KGII 1754 halfpenny nearby. Your links are what my buddy calls red brass. They're beautiful

No hurry, just let know when you post or PM me. Half the other set ? That's amazing. Love the old coins too. I have maybe 6 colonial, but only two with really clear dates !
Can't wait for this cold and snow to go. We finally got some.. 8" at one time.. not as bad as the guys up north, but bad enough for us. Lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice cufflinks!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice cufflinks!

thanks prof. This thread must have been moved or something, because when first posted, I got a lot of responses and those more knowledgable than I figured they are not as old as I first thought. Perhaps late 18th century. Still one of my favorite finds though.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi EasternShoreMetal. Here's the cufflink pictures I promised. Let me know what you think.
Snowin again today.

Attachments

• bob 006.JPG
    bob 006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi EasternShoreMetal. Here's the cufflink pictures I promised. Let me know what you think.
Snowin again today.

They are sweet! Can you tell what it says? I would have flipped because it would have looked like coins at first. They have to be very old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread