Brand detector for relic hunting?!

Outclass

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody,

I would like to kindly ask you could you please give me your advice from your experience which is a good metal detector for Relic hunting NOT for gold one

I was thinking for Garrett ATX Pro, Garrett GTI 2500 or Minelab Explorer SE (if you have other suggestions please let me know).

The GTI VLF system is best or the ATX PI?!?

Im interested in relic hunting of black and coloured metals... silver, bronze, gold stuff... but NOT just coins!

As for the ground, one of the place the soil is loess, the other one has mineralised ground (rocky).

If I have to give more info, please let me know.

I would appreciate your time for giving me your advices. Thank you in advance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Tejon

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Garrett AT Pro is great for relics and coins all around great machine. It's definitely been field tested by many relic hunters and the show diggers prove its worth. For he price it's a great package. I love mine.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Tejón if you want simplicity and good results. Any one of the above mentioned would also be good if you want a screen and numbers to look at! I would not advise on any PI as a primary machine.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Tejon or Sov GT.

OP
OP
O

Outclass

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your advices... After reading them I changed my choice to Tesoro Tejon as a primary machine. Do you think it is a good choice?!
I'm willing to spend up to 2000 bucks on machine for relic hunting. If you think I can get a better machine for that sum of money, please tell me which one?!
Can you give me a good online shop for ordering it? What coils I have to get?!

Thanks in advance.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the Deus, and stay away from all Pulse units (ATX). With a 2k budget for a quick response type detector Deus would be a no brainer. Do your homework and I bet you will agree.

If you make a good choice you won't need any extra coils to start, and maybe never.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that case buy a Tejon and F75 or T2, Predator shovel and a pinpointer.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have been given some good advice..... there are quite a few different machines that will work great for relics. There really is no one machine that will absolutely without stand tall above all the others right now. I've personally had great success with the Etrac although many don't use it as a relic machine. I've also seen some fantastic finds found with the T2 SE, F75 LTD, Tejon, Deus, and the Garrett AT Pro/Gold. There are other variables at play here.... mineralization, EMI, and trash content of the sites you want to hunt are all factors.

The my favorite is the Minelab GPX series, but its really something that you would not want to try if you are new to the hobby. While its by far the deepest machine, it has limited iron discrimination and you can't use it in high EMI situations so it also has its limitations. However I can say some of my best relics have been found with one.

Whatever you decide, we can sure help you get it in your hands.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Tejón if you want simplicity and good results. Any one of the above mentioned would also be good if you want a screen and numbers to look at! I would not advise on any PI as a primary machine.

So fletch, how are you liking your Tejon? I assume you already have one since you are recommending it?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is deep seeking, very hot on low-mid conductors and the best in the Tesoro lineup IMO because of dual disc/PP toggle switch. Still experimenting and really trying to learn the single tone audio which I didn't give enough time the first go around with the Tejon.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better send a pm on that response! It is deep and the best in the Tesoro lineup IMO because of dual disc toggle switch. I do get a little bored with 1 tone tbh. I should have thrown the F-19 out there as it seems to be a good relic machine also.

Hey Fletch!

Last edited:

Rik601

Oct 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody,

I would like to kindly ask you could you please give me your advice from your experience which is a good metal detector for Relic hunting NOT for gold one

I was thinking for Garrett ATX Pro, Garrett GTI 2500 or Minelab Explorer SE (if you have other suggestions please let me know).

The GTI VLF system is best or the ATX PI?!?

Im interested in relic hunting of black and coloured metals... silver, bronze, gold stuff... but NOT just coins!

As for the ground, one of the place the soil is loess, the other one has mineralised ground (rocky).

If I have to give more info, please let me know.

I would appreciate your time for giving me your advices. Thank you in advance.

:hello2: Try a Garrett GTI 2500 in all metal mode it goes deeper than all of the othere detectors mentioned and you can pickup one cheaply Minelab is overrated but the GTI is underrated !!!
:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread