Need help dating cufflinks

sc penny magnet

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Can anyone date these cufflinks? I think I have a ruff idea by some other things I've found in the area. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

ForumRunner_20150201_153321.png

ForumRunner_20150201_153305.png

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That style is what was used during the colonial era that's a very old pair of cufflinks.. It's extremely rare to find them still connected.
Please give any info you're holding back about other items found in the area it would help anyone who is trying to help you

Last edited:
OP
OP
sc penny magnet

sc penny magnet

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Thanks gatorboy for the reply. The main things I have found are flat buttons. Some have back marks such as treble gilt extra rich, imperial standard, and extra gold colour. I have also found cuff buttons with flower designs. Also a couple of tombac buttons. Not very far from this area is where I found the capped bust " love token" that you also replied to. Thanks for reading and any other replies or comments are appreciated.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great area you probably know how old those tombak buttons can be.. The back marks you read off sounds like early 1800's up till about 1840.. And made in England by the spelling .. Kind of like this one

PART_1376786974619.jpeg

OP
OP
sc penny magnet

sc penny magnet

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Thats about the time frame I had in mind gatorboy. Wondering if the cufflinks are of the same time frame. Also about 100 yrds from the majority of the finds is a graveyard. They are just marked with rocks. Maybe slave graveyard ?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a really interesting area that's for sure .I'm not sure about the graveyard but I'm pretty sure your cufflink is somewhere around the late 1700 to early 1800's it could have been on a very old article of clothing that somebody had in that area quite a time after that but just looking at the item itself I would say late 17 to early 1800's.
You can find plenty of examples looking at Colonial artifacts online

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime... thanks for sharing... good luck

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a really interesting area that's for sure .I'm not sure about the graveyard but I'm pretty sure your cufflink is somewhere around the late 1700 to early 1800's it could have been on a very old article of clothing that somebody had in that area quite a time after that but just looking at the item itself I would say late 17 to early 1800's.
You can find plenty of examples looking at Colonial artifacts online

I found a pair (and one half the other) at an old site last summer. Looks a lot like yours. They are pewter and dated 1769

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions