Research question

MIG73

Sep 17, 2003
Hey guys, I am fairly new to the board, but have been detecting in some manner for a few years. Its just been in the past few months however that I have been bitten by the relic bug, prior to this I was always hunting jewelry or coins. I live in South Carolina, and was wanting advice on how best to locate good sites for possible civil war (or earlier) relics...I have lived in my area (Florence) for a couple years now, but know very little about history of this area dating back that far...any advice would be greatly appreciated. And if anybody is close by (within a couple hours or so) and looking for a relic hunting partner some weekend, I'd be more than willing to meet up.
Thanks,
Mig

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Hey Mig.... places like this: http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/sc.html and others are your best reference to where the battles were. there should be other maps as to where encampments were also. Right now I am scheduled to be in Savannah Ga. all next week. If I can get some free time I will send you a PM!

Chiz
8)

Attachments

• Morning coffee.jpg
    Morning coffee.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 34
  • TN3.jpg
    TN3.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 56

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
south cariolna

being with csx railroad, i go to florence about 6 times a year and also columbia and charleston. the library is a good start. this may help South

Carolina in the Civil War
Learn about S. Carolina's role in the war by exploring the links at this directory. Find links to military units, workshops, and archives. ... 2003 Symposium on South Carolina Civil War History. The 2003 Symposium on South Carolina in the Civil War will be held ...
members.tripod.com/mwyckoff

if you need more help, please let me know. boomer, good luck. research is the key to treasure hunting.

whiskers

Dec 13, 2003
Silicon Valley
Look through the newspapers for your area for the time period you want. You'll find more leads than you can handle in a lifetime.

Attachments

• treasurehuntershofs.jpg
    treasurehuntershofs.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 19

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
south carolina

One of my first hunts in South Carolina was quite a disaster. We had a cheap md and lousy maps, canned food and not enough water. I read in a book about the Santee ridge that runs along the Wateree River, there was brick ruins of Tory houses and pre-historic caves there, we parked by a boat landing and set out on foot, 3 days later we were still mired down in lowland swamps, out of food and water, very hot and we had picked up a dog in the woods who followed us for days, we never reached the high hills of Santee but instead dropped our gear and hitch hiked back to the car, I then drank a six pack of hawaiin punch I was so parched. Before we left some locals told us about a Confederate supply train that had been captured and blown up on the tracks, scattering supplys over the entire area by the tracks... belt buckles, bulletts, weapons and other stuff, a local guy had quite a collection but the area was many acres so there is still alot there, we went down there and it was raining so we went home because we were in day 5 of our trip, never made it back to the old train tracks. If you find out where the Santee Hills are on a map near the Wateree River you will be in the neighborhood of the supply train ambush site, some locals could probably get you closer than I can by memory.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread