Lead, lead, and more lead... Any ideas why nothing else?

Catahoula

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2012
Vidalia, Concordia Parish, LA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting in an 80 acre row-crop field for the last month or so when the weather has allowed. After about 8 or 9 trips, I've found 50 or so round balls, around 30 Enfields (most dropped but chewed up pretty good by disks over the years), and hundreds of melted pieces of lead ranging from small, nugget size pieces to large, 3 to five pound chunks embedded with charcoal from a fire. The area where I'm finding these items seems to be restricted to about a half-acre in size within this large field. It's within a mile or so of a bayou crossing known to have been well-used during the war, but I have found no mention of any long-term encampment close by. Could it be the site of a picket? Would there be that much lead? Also, I have found no buttons, buckles, horse tack, etc. Absolutely nothing but lead and the occasional rusted bit of unidentifiable iron... Any ideas on what this site may be?
Thanks guys!
Catahoula

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a possibility you found a Civil War munitions dump, from the end of the war. Where is this cache of lead?

OP
OP
C

Catahoula

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Central Louisiana. Also, the landowner says his family has always referred to the area as "the ammo dump" (an area in the field where crops would not grow in the 1930s and 40s. If it is in fact a munitions dump, would it have been referred to or mentioned in any official reports do you think?

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is interesting how the landowners referred to it as an "ammo dump". But if it truly was one, I would not think that it would be mentioned in any official reports. Maybe letters or diaries of the soldiers who were in the area might mention the dump, but it is finding those letters, if they exist. But like any war, it is just to show the winners (in this case, the enemy ;D) that you have truly laid down arms.

OP
OP
C

Catahoula

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to see what else I can find out about it. I appreciate your insight very much! Also, I forgot to mention above, I think, I have found no "obviously" federal ammo at the site... No 3-ringers.

CONFEDR8

Sep 15, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya, no problem. But if you want, and if there is any records on the dump, it might be in the local archives. They will have newspapers dated back to the 1800's, so if your lucky, there might be an article on the laying down of the arms in the area.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say there's a very good possibility if the spot has been known about for that long..most of the high tones have been picked out already by other detectorists

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread