Pocket Watch help

Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend found an Elgin pocket watch from 1886 at a homestead we have been hunting at about a month ago. Fast forward to yesterday, I have found the second pocket watch of the site!! Crazy huh?! The only disappointing aspect of my find is that my pocket watch lacks any maker mark on it.

Despite the lack of a makers mark, its identification is possible I believe due to its unique design.

Here a couple of pictures I have of the watch itself to help:

LCP Pocketwatch 1.jpg LCP Pocketwatch2.jpg LCP Pocket Watch 3.2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrews_Adventures_SC
Apr 15, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been speculated in a different forum I am a part of that it may have even been a stop watch as, "The winding stalk at the top has the long grooves and is of a similar thickness to the stalk shaft, and the notches and the graduated arc of the adjustment curve on the back, makes me think it is more along the lines of being a stopwatch. More specifically it may have been a chronograph / Chronometer since it only has the one stem at the top. Used by pilots, nurses, doctors, or anyone making or needing timed measurements" which I suppose if also a strong possibility, however I don't see why a farm house would need a stopwatch except for the local vet or doctor.

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A compass would not have a (F) or (S) to adjust the speed for the time. And I took my stop watch back cover off and there was no adjustment for (F) or (S) either, so I think you have a pocket watch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions