May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Rutgers University in NJ consists of many campus/colleges spread across the state. In the immediate area of the original Queens College sits the Rutgers-New Brunswick campus, Cook College, Douglass College, Busch, and Livingston. Livingston is referred to as the Kilmer Campus because it sits on the former Camp Kilmer army base - a waystation in Piscataway, NJ for soldiers departing for and returning from WWII.

I recently came across a map of Camp Kilmer (CK) - actually, less of a formal map and more of an artist's hand-drawn rendition of the base and all pertinent locations therein - within the informational brochure given to soldiers stationed there. It contains the 10 distinctive zones of the campus, all of the px sites, phones, beer halls, theatres, chapels, Post HQ, libraries, etc. I decided to head over there and see if I could MD at any of the original locations.

Once Rutgers took over the site in 1970, the basic layout remained the same but several of the roads changed names or were abandoned. The university co-opted several of the existing buildings and replaced most others. As a former student there I was familiar with most of the campus but even in the last 10 years it's undergone an even more extensive transformation to the point where I had to double back on some roads several times to figure out where the old roads I once knew were vs. where I was now, never mind where they were on a hand-drawn map from 70 years ago. The 1940's Plainfield Road is now Sutton's Lane. Avenue A is now Joyce Kilmer. Road 1, which I drove down probably over a hundred times, is almost unrecognizable (and half its original length, as is Plainfield).

According to the map, where Plainfield and Avenue 2 used to bisect there had been a px on one side and a library on the other. I climbed into the now-overgrown woods, over the rubble piled on Plainfield 40 years prior to truncate it, and found a 1970's-era handball court, lots of overgrowth, concrete that set my detector off like crazy, and trash. Lots and lots of trash - to the point that I couldn't find anything else. No sign of either former military building. Every other place on the map was now developed into something else, except for 1 area (actually Zone 1, to be precise).

Again there was a ton of trash hidden in the ground, plus the occasional remnants of old service roads barely visible under the weeds and trees. The outer edge of the woods here, though, were being cultivated for wild flowers and within the woods there hadn't been any "official" activity for decades. It was very hard to discriminate out all of the trash in the ground but there was far less of it than in the 1st location I tried and eventually found what I think might have been the site of the beer hall based on anecdotal evidence from the map and what I was digging up. Amongst the buried nails, rusted metal shards, and who-knows-what-else in that direct vicinity I did find 3 very interesting items:

1. Tiny square-head nails likely used to tack up notices
  2. Some sort of odd semi-carved object with a "4" on it
  3. The cylinder from a revolver

There are no markings on the cylinder, but if someone can identify what gun it likely came from then by all means please let me know. The edge on one end had begun to rot off, but it still has its spring. The cylinder is 1" from front to back, not counting the spring & mount. It's approx. 1-3/8" wide. And the bullet chambers are approx. 5/16" across. Oddly, I could not find the rest of the barrel anywhere nearby. It was buried only a few inches deep.

As for the carved object, it looks to me like it's a 4-pound weight that someone started to do some boredom-killing customizing to, but again I'm at a loss as to what it originally was or what the new design was intended it to be.

DSC_1300as.jpg DSC_1301as.jpg DSC_1302as.jpg DSC_1304as.jpg DSC_1305as.jpg DSC_1306as.jpg DSC_1307as.jpg DSC_1308as.jpg

Thoughts?

Last edited:

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a "cylinder" from a revolver...a "cartridge" is the ammunition.
I'm stumped by the fact that the cylinder is hollow...never saw chambers that were not bored through a solid piece....I wonder if its from some sort of 'starter" pistol, designed for blanks.

Does it appear to be pot metal??

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, azdave. I corrected the language in my post.

How can I tell if it's pot metal?

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is it "flaky" were the corrosion is, and feel lighter than it should if ordinance grade steel?
I'm seriously thinking starter pistol....it appears to have no cylinder stop notches around the circumference....which is necessary on a real revolver to align each chamber with the barrel. And the "hollow" interior is probably the real give-away.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
It's borderline to me as to whether I'd consider the corrosive area as "flaky", though it is pretty thin there and I would expect it to be thicker overall. Now that I think about it I guess I'd expect the cylinder to be heavier than it is, too. You make a strong case for it being from a starter pistol so I'll defer to you on this. A little disappointed that it wasn't from a real gun, but at least we now know. Thanks so much!

Now as to that carved whatchamacallit.... ???

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
the number 4 item is a 4oz. fishing weight.

Aaahhhh..... okay. Make sense. The Raritan River is about a 2-mile's walk away from where I found the weight. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread