MineralsAndThings

May 5, 2014
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at a loss and need help

I'm doing research on my property and area. I need help in noticing signs that native Americans have been in the area in the past. I found some maps and they could have been but I'm not 100% sure and I love history greatly so I wan't to learn more.

These are the questions I have right now:

What maps do I look at?
What do I look for in the land such as hills or markings?
What records should I look at?
Who should I ask?
Did they bury the dead anywhere other then a designated area? I mean when traveling people do die and you choose a spot usually.
Did they bury them near camp? On the top of hills?

There is a burial ground near my aunts house a few miles away from me. (Perhaps 4-5 miles away) This is why I am interested in knowing.
I live near West Chester and Westtown Pennsylvania.

Any tips or help is welcome,
Thanks

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
I would suggest high ground near a water source. Helps if area is plowed/farmed to look for worked stone implements/arrowheads. In the east, that's a lot tougher to find these days. If there's a creek, look near or in the creek.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Old water" that's the key to most of it

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As GatorBoy said old water. Around here old water shows up as black dirt in the fields. The indians liked to camp on high sandy ground, due to sandy ground drains quickly. Look in washed out areas for cracked rock that looks like its been in a fire, also flakes of worked flint or quartz. If you find these things, you should find relics. Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread