Old home locations search questions

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

Thanks to several replies to an earlier post, I have found five old home sites from the 1920's in the woods that no longer exist. They are literally within 1 mile of my home on private property which I have permission to search.

NETR Online ? Historic Aerials was suggested to me by a treasurenet member and it is a great tool. This is how i locate all five old home sites and two old roads through the property that are just now mere depressions in the ground that no one would notice except a relic hunter. But the old maps show these roads and they do match the depressions.

Ok the question

Now i have the exact GPS lat/long cords of these home sites and my iphone running a gps app i can find the home sites and have done so.

since this is so close to home i can easily spend lots of time searching. I have already found the bottle dumps on two of the sites.
What is the best way to search these home sites. I have a Fisher ID Edge. It has pretty good depth and discrimination capabilities. Probably not the top of the line from what I have read in the forms but adequate.

I assume I should just dig everything since I probably have an exclusive on searching these sites.

Also the bottle dumps seem to have on the top layer just 1950-60's beer and whiskey bottles. The only embossed bottle was an 1950-60 asprin bottle. I am just guessing at the age. I am planning on digging deeper in the bottle dump. Should I search the bottle dump with the metal detector?

I plan on of course searching the area around the home sites and carefully around big trees and depressions.

Any other advice will be appreciated. I will share my experience on this site since I am somewhat of a newb. I have had a Fisher Gold bug 15 years ago when we searched for gold in the mountains. When we found buckshot we panned that area and almost always found some color.

John

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my experience with bottle dumps, it was basically the place to throw all of your trash. The bottles just survive the best over time. You can find old jewelry in the dumps sometimes, so swinging your detector around with the eliminator set to precious metals might yield you some good stuff. However, what I like to do is pick a spot, put on some knee pads, and excavate down. You come across things you wouldn't have expected. And, digging deeper usually means older bottles, because the junk, I mean "treasures", where continuously piled on top of each other.
Sounds like you have a great spot. Can't wait to see what you find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions