How and Where do I find old maps

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you googled "civil war maps"? I bet there are many at the library of congress and other collections that can be viewed online.

OP
OP
MasonRoberson

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haved and I did fimd that website bit none for my area

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground your planning to hunt had many people crossing it for all kinds of reasons. Not just for military operations.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know of any specific Civil War battles that took place close to where you live? If so you should Google the name of the battle the name of the town and then look for Google books that you can read. Use the search function within the book to try to narrow your search results to your specific citations that relate to your city or town. Also Google civil war troop movements with your town or city or wherever you're located. Again don't concentrate so much on the maps but look for Google books that concentrate on having citations that reference your location. You have to do a lot of reading to find the realics

F22QA

Oct 20, 2015
Woodstock,Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266X
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mason,The Georgia State Archives has many great maps. There is also a author who did a series of fantastic books on Georgia battlefields. He overlayed modern topographical maps over Civil War battle maps. He passed away a few years ago but his books are still around. His name is William Scaife and you might call the Kennasaw National Battlefield Park book store and there my be copies there. On the other hand I have better luck studying old dairies and books for clues and then try to use maps . If just starting get out in the field and start hunting. There are also two great relic hunting clubs in North Georgia that can help. Another map book for the Civil War. Is a huge Atlas of the Civil War Battlefieds that is the companion to the 158 Volume Set of the reports and correspondence of the Civil War printed by the Government around 1899. A very good copy of this set is in the Marietta,Georgia Libray in the Georgia room. The Ladies are very helpful to a old dirty relic hunter.Big civil war show coming to Dalton, Georgia in I believe Feburary 2016. Email me and have the exact date in a few days. [email protected]

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
You need to look at a web site called "Hand drawn maps of the civil war" There are a lot of civil war era maps (hand drawn) on Northern Georgia. You will have to navigate through the site and look for them.

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use library of Congress. And Google earth.save a old map from loc and transfer and place over Google earth.takes some time but works awesome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread