Should I dig up the old outhouse?

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
regarding the issue of caches and old outhouses, In the outhouse, is supposed to be a good place to look. I recall reading somewhere, some time ago when I first got interested in detecting again, that people used to sometimes think of hiding their valuables in places where nobody, in their right mind, would want to to look for them. The outhouse woulld have been such a repulsive place. They would put an emergency statsh there with a way, or or willingness and determination, of being able to retreive it if needed.

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I got to talking to my cousin a while back and he mentioned that our gram was upset with gramps one night. She was upstairs in a nice warm bed waiting for him and he was out in a chilly outhouse with a woman from the bar. A strange place to have a drunken tryst but it was a place that was used none the less. I can imagine more then a few privy's have a pocket spill or some nice buttons that got popped off in "the process". I've also heard of people nailing down a seat on a 2 holer and that nailed down seat was where they kept there cache. One guy I talked to found a jar of silver coins dating to the 1830's. You never know. Swizzle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread