Should I dig up the old outhouse?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I've mentioned , I live in a historic area in an older house. We (stupidly) removed the outhouse on our property 8 years ago but I can easily dig there and if I follow the rock paths around my house I think there were other outhouse sites. What do people generally find in these weird black areas (aside from poop)? I tried once but quit after about 4 inches, fiinding nothing but I have found indian artifacts in my yard. How far should I dig if I am inspired?

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Carefully dig all the way to the bottom. Heavy objects and bottles had a soft landing and should be intact. The heavier the object the farther it'll sink. Make yourself a sifter and sift out all the dirt. It shouldn't be anything but fertilzer and seeds down there now. Some homesteads threw out broken dishes and other artifacts of interest. Someone hurrying to drop their britches might have dropped a coin(s) or popped a button. Kids throw some interesting things away sometimes. You never know what you'll find. My nephew has throw 1 of his mom's phones away and attempted another, not to mention flushing 2 watches down the crapper worth a total of $175. Kids can be a treasure hunters greatest friend sometimes. Good luck and let us know what you find. Jason

treasurebum1

Jan 12, 2005
flora ms.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gti2500 whites vision
;) old privys have great stuff in them just be careful and great huntin

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) Get out that spade and dig the $hit out of that hole,Bet you will have many pic,s to post.Watch for the glass dont wont cut up hands.HH

R

rvbvetter

Yes! A buddy and i were metal detecting an area in our city in calif. where they had been grading to put in a new street. As we moved along we kept stepping into little spots of soft ground and eventually noticed small pieces of colored glass here and there. Soon a light went off in our heads, maybe a little light, but a light none the less. OUTHOUSES!!! We dug into one and bottles of every description and color started appearing. Many embossed with Dr. so n so's mirracle cure, as well as other products and companys. Even a couple of nice embossed glass whisky flasks. We were only able to just scratch the surface of six of what looked to be a dozen or more spots in the two days we had before the road crew moved in and covered it over again. In all we ended with over 200 intact bottles of various shapes sizes and colors. All dated from the 1850's to the late 1800's Good luck on yours

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
If you know people who remember this outhouse being used,Don't dig! otherwise dig away(being careful),when you start finding tomatoe seeds,slow down!

S

SASQUASH

Should you dig that is like should you breath HA HA. Dig & dig to the bottom just like Swizzle said. as for worrying about the poop it is fertilizer at best. I'm working on getting permission to dig one hopefully this week cant wait. Having more fun then people SAQUASH. <><

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I'll start digging after I get my metal detector(hopefully this week). I just wanted to run it over the spot for fun. There is also a cystern in my back yard, still full, and 3! scary wells. 2 are still functional and full so I can't really do anything but I've found some really cool bottles in the big ditch that runs along out yard. I had to stop hunting because I found out that the neighbors lagoon leaks into it. Yaackkk! And what's up with all the comments in different posts about tomato seeds? Did they just eat alot of them back then or did they like to grow tomatoes on old outhouse sites? Anyway, as soon as I start digging I'll let everyone know what I find. I don't know how to post pictures with my computer or I'd show you. Sara

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
Get a strong magnet and a long string and drop it down the wells. You never know what you might find. As far as seeds go they would be too deep in the crapper to grow and our digestive system won't break them down. So when you find the seeds that's when your getting close to the goodies. I've also heard of people finding glasses and false teeth down there to so you may need a rabies shot as well lol. Also search around the crap house with your detector for caches. Although most crapper caches were probably half full whiskey bottles and not mason jar's full of silver. I'm working on gaining access to a outhouse used by 20 to 30 workers not to mention the people that owned the house and there kids. Its either my great great grandfather or my great great great grandfathers property. I hope I can get permission. I would love to dig up family treasures. Good luck and happy hunting. Jason

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never thought of the magnet! We used onein our driveway about 5 years ago and came up with a small bucket of nails :( . If I can locate it I'll post what I found.

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I know of one outhouse site, but its still in use. its at a church that was built about 200 years ago. I will not even attempt that one. digging outhouses would be a truely crappy job.

mike

R

Rich

PAmike said:
I know of one outhouse site, but its still in use. its at a church that was built about 200 years ago. I will not even attempt that one. digging outhouses would be a truely crappy job.

mike

It might be crap,especialy if still in use?....

but crappers are the spot to hit for bottles,coins,and more!....
and no the remains of somesones 200 yr old "dump" would not be "crap" anymore,......it would of turned into very rich soil!.......night soil!..

dig any outhouse thats not in use that dates pre-1900,also be very carful,........crappers are not trapped,but the walls can cave in on you very very easy and fast!...always dig with another person or the more people the better chances of finding PAYDIRT!

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Rich, you made the point of only digging pre-1900 outhouse sites,Does that mean that any spot is unsafe that is dated after 1900? If not what is a safe time line after end of use?

R

Rich

JARMAN said:
Rich, you made the point of only digging pre-1900 outhouse sites,Does that mean that any spot is unsafe that is dated after 1900? If not what is a safe time line after end of use?? ?

Jarman - I try to find only pre-1900 spots,weather it be a bottle dump,or a crapper.....

and yes all privys/cistrines/wells from any year should be dig at with extreme caution,...
after use---not sure because around here there no in use outhouses.......,

but take care and always have a person with a cell phone with ya,its a fun hobby but a dangerous one,..........

or check your area for a local bottle club,if not i suggest checking out www.antique-bottles.net and go to the forums there,they have some pretty good info for anyone who is starting on this endevor/task of privys........

pickaback

Jul 12, 2005
PA
But why only pre-1900? For safety? Quality of items found?
My son found an outhouse on our 1800s property while digging for a fishpond. There are rements of four wooden posts about the right size apart. We have found items ranging from the early 1900s, back to one of those things one used to hang a pot from in walk-in fireplaces. Marble, nails, lots of broken china, beads, eyeglass lens, tools, etc. Not a single coin, though.
We've only gotten four feet down so far. Those last two feet seem to be the hardest. Hope the heat breaks soon, as hubby is threatening to fill it in soon. :)
We are pretty certain that it was post 1900. Should we be worried?
Thanks.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dont forget to detect the path TO the outhouse. imagine on a cold night how much in a hurry you would be in to get back inside!! im sure many a coin fell out of pockets this way!

Y

yurt_boy

A guy I used to work with went (probably still goes) to old houses and MD's the outhouse spots. He's done pretty well for himself. He gave me one of his finds, an old shotgun, because he knew I collected black powder shotguns. This one wasn't black powder, but dated to the 40's or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread