Old Houses in Vermont/Exploring towns

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a Vermont native and exploring towns and just driving through them in my car and guessing the age of the house is just an exciting thing. I've been having trouble recently finding cellar holes, I believe they're in deep woods just trying to figure out which part of Vermont and how to get to them.

Does anyone have any input, I know there's a good amount of cellar holes and just foundations of older buildings in NH.

Feel free to join in the conversation.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YOU ALL ARE LUCKY DOGS TO HAVE ALL THE CELLAR HOLES TO SEARCH ...GOOD LUCK ...

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a Vermont native and exploring towns and just driving through them in my car and guessing the age of the house is just an exciting thing. I've been having trouble recently finding cellar holes, I believe they're in deep woods just trying to figure out which part of Vermont and how to get to them.

Does anyone have any input, I know there's a good amount of cellar holes and just foundations of older buildings in NH.

Feel free to join in the conversation.

Talk to some locals, and get landowner permission to walk some stone walls. In VT cellar holes are everywhere

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the time of year to find them, before the leaves are out. I've tried my luck at several this spring. A lot of the fun is just finding and being at the old sites, appreciating the history and the hard lives that were lead. Sometimes they can be a little spooky. The cellar holes by the roadsides are almost always pretty well pounded. The good ones you have to work for. Following stone walls is pretty much the key. Look for very large (dead) trees. They are frequently found around an old site. Apple trees (descendants from the old times) are a dead giveaway too. Around here, I look for patches of myrtle or princess pine. Obviously you'll see a mound/lip. Really, it's the stone walls. Parallel walls can mean old road. Breaks in the wall always investigate, right angles, etc. You usually see a pen or the barn foundation before the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions