Circular Foundation - Attached to Cellar Hole

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have taken a better picture showing the cellar hole itself, but almost touching it on one side was this shallow old stone-walled pit. It's not a well. I thought cistern maybe, but it doesn't look like it would hold water for long, and again it doesn't look like it had any depth. There's no rock pile or anything suggesting the stone extended above ground level. Any ideas?

old-cistern.jpg .

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be the foundation of a grain silo , base was stone rest was of wood and may have been open screened for air drying , still see some the Pa area on Amish farms

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with nsdq , but I have found a couple pre-silo that I think may of held hogs---stone circle near barn foundation, but no nails were found with met detector . Just a guess--ive been wrong before - ha-

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could have been a root cellar or even a smoke house. Very cool.

OP
OP
V

Vermonter

Aug 9, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That might be, thanks. I haven't seen anything like it before around here. Come to think of it, the almost attached foundation which I neglected to photograph didn't have a center chimney pile or any chimney debris. Maybe it wasn't a house but a storehouse or small barn.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I should have taken a better picture showing the cellar hole itself, but almost touching it on one side was this shallow old stone-walled pit. It's not a well. I thought cistern maybe, but it doesn't look like it would hold water for long, and again it doesn't look like it had any depth. There's no rock pile or anything suggesting the stone extended above ground level. Any ideas?

I'd go with your 1st instincts. Water (cistern) would have been close to the house. As far as the height (rocks), if it was even built-up, people take rocks all the time for landscaping and fill. The depth would also change over the years, plus who knows how deep it was to begin with?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread