Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a permission with the local historical society. I have sole access to a huge farm from the mid 1800's. I was told that the owners had 2 privy's - a his and hers. The curator told me the outhouses were in a certain area, and there is a "low" spot in that area. I'm trying to get information on the correct way to dig. All finds go to the historical society and I want to do this correctly. I've been detecting for 30 + years, though I have never worked a privy. Please let me know if you have any experience in this type of dig. I have many questions.

Thanks!!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not "experienced" per se, but I would think if you've pretty well determined where a privy was located, use your detector to try and find the most outside nails - try to figure out size and positioning. If you know where the house was from that period, the entrance will often be facing the house. Once you have the privy area staked out, choose a corner to start with and start digging just outside your area, then carefully work in.

The old outhouse that's still on our place had lots of junk thrown on the backside of it. Just take it slow and easy till you find out what awaits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread