Hungary: Metal Detecting

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was reading a article in Quora about bombs left over from World War 2. The last paragraph caught my attention for those who travel overseas with their metal detectors. It stated: In the 1980s, the problem was much more acute. In my elementary school there was a large photo tableau with different bombs, grenades and instructions what to do when you find one. Awareness clips were aired on TV regularly, teaching people not to touch suspicious metal objects in forests, and definitely not to pick them hoping to obtain the explosive. They showed how the army disposes of these things, how they explode and what damage they can do. There were a lot of horror stories as well, about stupid kids who ignored this warning and played with grenades, only to lose a few limbs or die.
Metal detectors are illegal in Hungary for this reason, and using one without a permit is a serious felony. https://www.quora.com/

Anybody want to challenge that article? Anybody ever hunted Hungary? :icon_scratch:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
FLauthor, your link requires some sort of passwords and/or memberships. Can you either post another link, or cut & paste the text here ? I'd like to take a look at what you're alluding to, that says Hungary = a no no for detectors.

Be aware that when reading the laws of various European countries, many have come-away with dire conclusions. Ie.: scary sounding verbage that seems to outlaw it, blah blah. Yet detecting is going on in those countries. Even dealers, etc.... And a closer reading of those laws reveals some mis-understandings often-times :

They might only apply to public land. Hence private land (farmer fields with permission from the farmer, like they do in England all the time) is outside the scope of laws dealing with public land. Or if you read closely, their tied up in antiquity statutes. Ok, fine then, you're not finding old stuff, are you ? Bear in mind that "old" in some of those countries can be stuff over 500 or 1000 yrs. old !

I realize stuff like un-exploded ordinance is another issue. And I don't know what your link says about that. But for that matter, heck, aren't there a WHOLE HOST of countries in Europe, where a similar scenario exists ? WWI and WWII were fought in all-sorts of different countries there, eh ? So for example, if that's the issue that makes it forbidden, then, heck, Germany ought to be #1 in ordinance danger issues. Yet there's no shortage of md'rs there practicing their hobby legally.

So if you have a way to get the text or link here, I'd like to take a look at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread