vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_video.gif
Nice find and vid! Love that "wall" of yours - wish I could see all the rifles! :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoyed the video,. :notworthy: That was a great save, glad you didn't toss it out.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I watched this video and it was Great. I didn't know the Confederacy or either army for that fact had such a weapon. Even though it was not widely used, it proved to be most effective when used. I believe too that this could have been used in the sinking of the Sultana late in the war. You have some great video's out. You spoke of the late Mr. Tom Dickey. He was as you know a legend relic hunter here from our state. I had an opportunity and the pleasure to meet Mr. Dickey once not too long before his passing. I have learned a great deal from watching your videos. I have a question for you sir, if you wouldn't mind taking a minute of your time to field this. It is no real big deal, but yet it is one of my favorite finds. This is regarding the product Gemplers that you use in preserving your iron relics and shells. I have just ordered this to use on some of my iron. Now back to my question and artifact in question. Years ago I found A piece of artillery shell frag encased in our red Georgia clay. In knocking the clay away from the iron I could tell that it was a shell frag, but peering through the red clay and what appeared to be the frags center, was white patina like that of lead. Once I got home I began cleaning on the frag further and sure enough, it was white lead and the more I cleaned the more the white lead began to take shape. In short, the form is that of an Eagle. I believe a Union (Yank), took this piece of frag and melted lead and poured this into the shell frags cavity and formed this Eagle while the lead was hot. There must have been a small hole through the frag because on the backside you can see where the lead appears to go all the way through and used to support the lead. A most unusual piece to me. I know it's not a big deal to some, but I wouldn't take anything for it knowing that someone took their time in creating this piece in the field. Now my question is do you think I could take a very fine paintbrush and outline the lead Eagle and paint the iron without damaging the lead? I am some sort of an artist and I could do the detail work if it wouldn't damage the lead. I would most appreciate your feedback on this Mr. Phillips, as I consider you sir as many do as an Authority on Civil War Artifacts and Artillery Shells. Or should I use the term "War of Northern Aggression"? Thank you sir for your time concerning this and again any tips you could give me concerning this would be greatly appreciated. Kevin Rose

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks for looking at my videos. Tom Dickey was my mentor as he was for others. I have a large part of his collection. I would like to see photos of your relic. Maybe I can help identify what it is. The Gemplers Rust Converter should work fine on your iron. The coal torpedo was probably used much more than we can positively say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread