Railroad camps?

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone have any tips on figuring out where old railroad camps are located? I've tried some old maps and can't find any realiable or detailed maps of the railroad or construction ion maps so I'm not sure how to find some of the camps! Any tips would be very appreciated!!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
go on google earth.follow the tracks and a lot of the time you well see where the bushes have been removed,find 5 to 10 of these ,then go there and look for old cans and junk.you will be amazed at all the stuff you will see that just falls off the trains.have fun good luck. brad

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind that there were also many hobo camps near RR tracks. But normally, I wouldn't suspect that they would have downed any brush.

You might look for a pattern in the brush every so often - like areas that appear to be similar in size and located near the tracks, yet maybe not as grown as the surrounding brush/trees.

A better approach might be to research old photos and then try to get a bearing according to 1) where the photo was taken and 2) what geological clues are available in the photo(s).

OP
OP
S

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep in mind that there were also many hobo camps near RR tracks. But normally, I wouldn't suspect that they would have downed any brush.

You might look for a pattern in the brush every so often - like areas that appear to be similar in size and located near the tracks, yet maybe not as grown as the surrounding brush/trees.

A better approach might be to research old photos and then try to get a bearing according to 1) where the photo was taken and 2) what geological clues are available in the photo(s).

thank you! Do you know about how many miles of track they were able to lay per day? According to terrain obviously. Haha

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, not a clue how many miles per day. I have to think that in actuality that number would vary, as work crews, work leaders, terrain and supplies were often variable, not to mention weather and even Indian attacks.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Bohannon would be the man to ask. :laughing7:

Hell On Wheels reference, sorry. :sadsmiley:

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been following the question with interest and figured I'd throw out a little food for thought regarding the subject. Keep in mind that depending on time frame and specific railroad there weren't always fixed or pitched camps. Many RR's used older converted freight and passenger cars as the camp. The cars included everything from bunk cars to commissary cars and kitchens. The practice is still in use today to a limited extent.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks PP> I was going to add that into my post, but by the time my hands caught up to my brain, it was already telling my hands to hit the "Post Quick Reply" button! :BangHead:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been following the question with interest and figured I'd throw out a little food for thought regarding the subject. Keep in mind that depending on time frame and specific railroad there weren't always fixed or pitched camps. Many RR's used older converted freight and passenger cars as the camp. The cars included everything from bunk cars to commissary cars and kitchens. The practice is still in use today to a limited extent.
Same with wreck trains. They had a sleeper car a chow car one or two boxcars for tools & parts, one or several flat cars for axels etc. Maybe you guys back east can help with this, but Union Pacific RR always painted the wreck trains silver not sure if other RRs did the same. You can probably still see them on GE staged on sidings.

OP
OP
S

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone! There's a couple hundred miles of abandoned rail lines around here so I'm just trying to narrow down my search! Looks likes I'll be doin a lot of hiking :icon_thumleft:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. They called them .... "Hell on wheels".

It's my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that prior to the CW they didn't use these converted cars as a mobile camp. And many of the RR camps grew into towns and cities once the RR workers moved on. Finding a RR camp may be very difficult west of the Missouri. The likely places still available might be near where difficult bridge construction would take place.

Good hunting if you find one.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at a big lot where all the railroad tracks met up in the early 1900s. There might be a tracks next to each other in this one specific area. My question is did they pull up all those railroad tracks or did they just cover them up with dirt? Because I'm thinking it would be hell to metal detect the area wouldn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is interesting article ( to me ) cause i know the line; I was actually looking at camps here as well.

If you read it; it will give you some idea of the amount of track a day. I would consider this track to be some of the easier and faster track to be laid.. flat land and small trees.

https://tshaonline.org/
handbook/online/articles/eqh14

OP
OP
S

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep. They called them .... "Hell on wheels".

It's my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that prior to the CW they didn't use these converted cars as a mobile camp. And many of the RR camps grew into towns and cities once the RR workers moved on. Finding a RR camp may be very difficult west of the Missouri. The likely places still available might be near where difficult bridge construction would take place.

Good hunting if you find one.

I have found some pictures of camps around me but they give no location and it's hard to go off land marks being that the high desert around me all looks so similar. But you are right they did have a lot of the converted cars around here. It's also hard to hunt any well know established places since there like a magnet for people target practicing for some reason.

I'm looking at a big lot where all the railroad tracks met up in the early 1900s. There might be a tracks next to each other in this one specific area. My question is did they pull up all those railroad tracks or did they just cover them up with dirt? Because I'm thinking it would be hell to metal detect the area wouldn't it?

are you looking at lines in az? And all the line around here have been completely removed other than sections on the very first one built here, they were very remote. All they left were the timber though. I've walked along some sections and found a few spikes but not much else so far.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found some pictures of camps around me but they give no location and it's hard to go off land marks being that the high desert around me all looks so similar. But you are right they did have a lot of the converted cars around here. It's also hard to hunt any well know established places since there like a magnet for people target practicing for some reason.

are you looking at lines in az? And all the line around here have been completely removed other than sections on the very first one built here, they were very remote. All they left were the timber though. I've walked along some sections and found a few spikes but not much else so far.

No I'm looking in the New Orleans area. And Lord knows those "good ol' boys" back in the day might just cover it up. But is it standard protocol to take them up?

OP
OP
S

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No I'm looking in the New Orleans area. And Lord knows those "good ol' boys" back in the day might just cover it up. But is it standard protocol to take them up?

From what ive gathered they usually atleast took the steel to be used again or melted down. I hope you have better luck then myself!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be a benchmark from the survey.

OP
OP
S

sms28

Jan 16, 2012
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you see old track maps and you see a big "X" on a particular spot what does that mean?

ive seen that on some of my maps as well but there's no key saying what it means so I'm not sure either :icon_scratch:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ive seen that on some of my maps as well but there's no key saying what it means so I'm not sure either :icon_scratch:

You're expected to know that. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread