Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Railroad camps?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2012
    Arizona
    Garrett at pro
    89 times
    Relic Hunting

Railroad camps?

Does anyone have any tips on figuring out where old railroad camps are located? I've tried some old maps and can't find any realiable or detailed maps of the railroad or construction ion maps so I'm not sure how to find some of the camps! Any tips would be very appreciated!!

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    251 times
    go on google earth.follow the tracks and a lot of the time you well see where the bushes have been removed,find 5 to 10 of these ,then go there and look for old cans and junk.you will be amazed at all the stuff you will see that just falls off the trains.have fun good luck. brad
    sms28 likes this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4004 times
    Prospecting
    Keep in mind that there were also many hobo camps near RR tracks. But normally, I wouldn't suspect that they would have downed any brush.

You might look for a pattern in the brush every so often - like areas that appear to be similar in size and located near the tracks, yet maybe not as grown as the surrounding brush/trees.

A better approach might be to research old photos and then try to get a bearing according to 1) where the photo was taken and 2) what geological clues are available in the photo(s).
    sms28 likes this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

us
    Jan 2012
    Arizona
    Garrett at pro
    89 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by kcm View Post
    Keep in mind that there were also many hobo camps near RR tracks. But normally, I wouldn't suspect that they would have downed any brush.

You might look for a pattern in the brush every so often - like areas that appear to be similar in size and located near the tracks, yet maybe not as grown as the surrounding brush/trees.

A better approach might be to research old photos and then try to get a bearing according to 1) where the photo was taken and 2) what geological clues are available in the photo(s).
    thank you! Do you know about how many miles of track they were able to lay per day? According to terrain obviously. Haha

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4004 times
    Prospecting
    Sorry, not a clue how many miles per day. I have to think that in actuality that number would vary, as work crews, work leaders, terrain and supplies were often variable, not to mention weather and even Indian attacks.
    Deft Tones and sms28 like this.

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    1368 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Bohannon would be the man to ask.

Hell On Wheels reference, sorry.
    Mifarmer and sms28 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Never outgrew playin' in the dirt!

Aug 2016
    SC Lowcountry
    XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
    183 times
    Relic Hunting
    Been following the question with interest and figured I'd throw out a little food for thought regarding the subject. Keep in mind that depending on time frame and specific railroad there weren't always fixed or pitched camps. Many RR's used older converted freight and passenger cars as the camp. The cars included everything from bunk cars to commissary cars and kitchens. The practice is still in use today to a limited extent.
    sms28, kcm and Deft Tones like this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4004 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks PP> I was going to add that into my post, but by the time my hands caught up to my brain, it was already telling my hands to hit the "Post Quick Reply" button!
    sms28 likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    927 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pony View Post
    Been following the question with interest and figured I'd throw out a little food for thought regarding the subject. Keep in mind that depending on time frame and specific railroad there weren't always fixed or pitched camps. Many RR's used older converted freight and passenger cars as the camp. The cars included everything from bunk cars to commissary cars and kitchens. The practice is still in use today to a limited extent.
    Same with wreck trains. They had a sleeper car a chow car one or two boxcars for tools & parts, one or several flat cars for axels etc. Maybe you guys back east can help with this, but Union Pacific RR always painted the wreck trains silver not sure if other RRs did the same. You can probably still see them on GE staged on sidings.
    sms28 likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Jan 2012
    Arizona
    Garrett at pro
    89 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thanks everyone! There's a couple hundred miles of abandoned rail lines around here so I'm just trying to narrow down my search! Looks likes I'll be doin a lot of hiking

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    1368 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Yep. They called them .... "Hell on wheels".

It's my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that prior to the CW they didn't use these converted cars as a mobile camp. And many of the RR camps grew into towns and cities once the RR workers moved on. Finding a RR camp may be very difficult west of the Missouri. The likely places still available might be near where difficult bridge construction would take place.

Good hunting if you find one.
    sms28 likes this.

us
    Apr 2016
    Abita Springs
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    846 times
    I'm looking at a big lot where all the railroad tracks met up in the early 1900s. There might be a tracks next to each other in this one specific area. My question is did they pull up all those railroad tracks or did they just cover them up with dirt? Because I'm thinking it would be hell to metal detect the area wouldn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Jan 2015
    Washington/Texas
    Tesoro Compadre Tesoro Silver UMax Fisher 1265x Fisher F75 SE LTD
    115 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here is interesting article ( to me ) cause i know the line; I was actually looking at camps here as well.

If you read it; it will give you some idea of the amount of track a day. I would consider this track to be some of the easier and faster track to be laid.. flat land and small trees.

https://tshaonline.org/
    handbook/online/articles/eqh14
    kcm likes this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Arizona
    Garrett at pro
    89 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Deft Tones View Post
    Yep. They called them .... "Hell on wheels".

It's my understanding, and I may be mistaken, that prior to the CW they didn't use these converted cars as a mobile camp. And many of the RR camps grew into towns and cities once the RR workers moved on. Finding a RR camp may be very difficult west of the Missouri. The likely places still available might be near where difficult bridge construction would take place.

Good hunting if you find one.

I have found some pictures of camps around me but they give no location and it's hard to go off land marks being that the high desert around me all looks so similar. But you are right they did have a lot of the converted cars around here. It's also hard to hunt any well know established places since there like a magnet for people target practicing for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    I'm looking at a big lot where all the railroad tracks met up in the early 1900s. There might be a tracks next to each other in this one specific area. My question is did they pull up all those railroad tracks or did they just cover them up with dirt? Because I'm thinking it would be hell to metal detect the area wouldn't it?

are you looking at lines in az? And all the line around here have been completely removed other than sections on the very first one built here, they were very remote. All they left were the timber though. I've walked along some sections and found a few spikes but not much else so far.
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    Apr 2016
    Abita Springs
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    846 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sms28 View Post
    I have found some pictures of camps around me but they give no location and it's hard to go off land marks being that the high desert around me all looks so similar. But you are right they did have a lot of the converted cars around here. It's also hard to hunt any well know established places since there like a magnet for people target practicing for some reason.

are you looking at lines in az? And all the line around here have been completely removed other than sections on the very first one built here, they were very remote. All they left were the timber though. I've walked along some sections and found a few spikes but not much else so far.
    No I'm looking in the New Orleans area. And Lord knows those "good ol' boys" back in the day might just cover it up. But is it standard protocol to take them up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links