Looking for a good place in VA to find War Relics, etc......Anyone know of any?

N

NewYorker

My father and mother live about 5 or so miles from new Market where the battlefield is, and many farmers around here have found a lot of neat items while plowing the field. One found confederate cash and the wallet it was in, and I think some bullets. My parents home is not far from that area, and once i get my detector, i am going straight there. They also have seen on their old survey that there is suposed to be a burried body on thier property, which was battle grounds a long time ago. Dont know if it is still there or not, but i figure if there is or was a body there, there should be relics close by. Do you all know if this will pick up Confederate amo rounds? I do not know what they were made of, but in pictures, they look like bone, or stone of some kind. Anyone with info, please let me know. Thanks a bunch 8)

C

cachenut

Lets see. Every detector I've seen will find relics and coins. The expensive ones do better. You did not specify what you had bought.

You are not supposed to dig graves. It is illegal and should not be done anyway. I think it is a felony now. Don't dig graves.

I would concentrate on your parents farm near New Market.

Go thru the cleared fields looking for an area that has relics and then search there. Go quick to cover a wide area till you find a good place and then hunt carefully. Since the relics are underground it is not obvious where to hunt. Many people use imaginary gridlines to search by lining up with a fence post in the distance or staying a set distance from the side fence. Then move over 5 feet and go back the other way. A lot like plowing.

The book by Bob Butafusso is a great one for getting started. Hill tops may contain a lookout post. Next to streams is a good place to find camps. Always check your holes after removing one relic. Often there are 3 or 4 in the same hole. I don't know why unless perhaps the relic bunny buries them that way. Its weird.

Good luck! Get Bobs book and read the detector manual.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any place in Virgina would be good. The word of mouth reports are like gold. This is where I would start. Try to get introduced by a friend or just approach the land owner. If they have found anything they may share the experience. Since this may now be farm land getting permission may be easier than getting permission to hunt a yard. I have been to Virginia 4 times and each land owner was very polite and personable. To make a point, I was there with my club, 12 or more people. Good luck and good hunting.

Ed Donovan

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
From what i understand there was a very large Union encampment in Centerville. I used to live in Centerville in a apartment complex called Summer Pond, right next door there were some nice big open fields but I never got a chance to detect them. It?s probably a shopping mall now :o

archmjr

Jan 24, 2005
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1270X/Whites 6000 & 5900 Di Pro SL/CZ-6a
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Looking for a good place in VA to find War Relics, etc......Anyone know of a

As far as relic hunting in much of VA i remember...just turn on your detector where there isn't a mall or a shopping center and you got some bullets..or more.

If you just follow the rules that Bob says in his book mentioned earlier you cannot go wrong. I still dream about those days before I moved to this frozen tundra of CT!

Arch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread