Found Bullet Mold

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was detecting an area inhabited in the early 1850's and got a decent signal which I suspected was more pieces of tin cans.

Pulled a portion of a frying pan out of the hole that had been cut off to be re-used for something else...then another piece of tin can...then out rolled this...

Bullet Mold.jpg

Thought it was a rifle mainspring for awhile until it got cleaned up...then it was obvious what it was.

First one I have found. It's for two small caliber balls..maybe 30 caliber'ish.
I found some wadded up lead/tin nearby, almost like a food container that was folded up...I have found these same wadded up pieces of lead before.
I wonder if they used it for material to cast bullets? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they bought hard tack or something that came in a soft lead container...Am I crazy?

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mold is a real beauty!
Here is a pic. of the type of lead bar, for bullets, that on occasion turn up in California gold camps.
Second pic is also something to look out for,it is an 1850s lead soldered sardine can, also from a gold camp, most have brass labels, and were packed in France, very collectable. BC-05-00217-LD_1253__42692_zoom.jpg IMG_0809.JPG

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never ran across the embossed lead piece (maybe parts of one that were cut off with a chisel), but I think I ran across that sardine can label while digging bottles many years ago.

My dad once found 2 piles of musket balls, 30 in one pile and 29 in the other.
He said he searched and searched for the 30th bullet and could never find it - figured they miscounted when they packaged them.
Must have been in a leather pouch or cardboard box that long rotted away. They were found at the top of an old road grade, and were probably part of a shipment that fell off.

Now if I can just find the percussion revolver...

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Imadigger, Congrat's to you on the bullet mold. A real nice find. It will look great in your display.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread