Former plantation site?

Billgluckman

May 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna try to keep this short and to the point..

I recently moved to a new area that I'm not that familiar with. I went on a walk this past weekend and found an old graveyard from the 1800s. I took a few pics and walked on. I was then walking past a newly cleared area and I saw what appeared to be the top of an old shack deeper into the clearing, so I had to check it out. Sure enough, a few old rotting sheds/shacks.

I ended up googling the names on the headstones and apparently the graveyard is an old plantation cemetery. I can't find much on the plantation except what's in the owners obituary which pretty much says it was a 2000+ acre plantation, 53 slaves, owners family also had a hotel in nearby town.

Do these rotting buildings look to be from the 1800s? The water well is something I'm curious about. I wouldn't think it would look this way in the mid 1800s.

I don't own a metal detector, but I've been wanting one for a while. I definitely plan on exploring a little deeper.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 259

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billg...while I can't say those shacks were from the 1800's...I CAN say that that would be a most awesome site to metal detect!! I would definitely contact the current owners, explain to them that you are into local history, and that you would like to look "deeper" into it..with permission granted, pull the trigger on a nice machine and go hunting..hope this helps! O...and welcome to the forum...Ddf

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be a powerful incentive to buy a detector for me as well! Agree those may be turn of the century (early 1900s), but the ground has surely been worked much longer than that. Watch out for buried well covers that have mostly rotted!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our site. Look out for snakes. A good idea is carry a big stick to search for snakes.

OP
OP
B

Billgluckman

May 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never bought that metal detector but it’s still on my mind. There’s also an old abandoned dog trot house through the woods near my house.

Are there any metal detectors less than $100 that are worth buying?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be either way ripinto there see whats what you find should give some good clues

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread