TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys and Gals, I'm in the market for a great relic machine and is also able to be a capable coin & jewelry grabber,but first and fore most,a relic hunter. Does any one have any pointers. I would be grateful for any real world advice on my top choices, the Nautilus IIBa, Whites MXT, Tejon, or the X-terra 70 with the specific coil. It will have to handle moderate to heavy mineralized soil in some areas. I live in North Alabama near Birmingham and Huntsville where the is a lot of iron and red clay soils. There is also a place I would love to hunt that has 7 mineralized springs, sulfur, magnesium, etc. which used to be a spa before 1900.
Thanks!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tim! :)

I have the MXT. I've never used any of the other detectors you have listed here, so I can't say anything about them. Between you and Canewrap worried over the mineralized soil, I can say that I have never had any problems with the MXT concerning this. I've hunted in Cullman, Blount, Jefferson, Walker, Tuscaloosa and Marshall counties without any problems. ;) I usually relic hunt in the fall, winter and early spring and have found a few keepers. Spent several hours last week at the park and had pretty good luck there with it too. :) I've been to those springs you are speaking of and never had any problems there either. ;)

Good luck to ya! Nana :)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the sovereign works wonders in extreme soil conditions and you can't beat the depth.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After doing a lot of research I settled on the MXT because of the versatility. However, I recently met a very successful relic hunter that lives here in N. Alabama and he uses a Tejon. So, I'm fairly certain that for N. Alabama, either one of these machines would do the trick and it wouldn't be like learning the instrument panel of the Shuttle. But, it is important that you learn your machine and what its telling you. I have a Cibola, probably one of the simplest turn on and go machines and it took some practice before I really started to understand what it was telling me. Just like everything else worthwhile, you get out of it what you put into it.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Ah, the Tejon is finally mentioned. I have read alot about this detector and it appears to be a winner for me and is the one I am saving for and hoping to buy this year or over the winter. The MXT is a great machine without a doubt and you cannot go wrong with it, but I think the Tejons's price, simplicity and proven depth is hard to beat, especially for a relic machine. I love my DFX and cannot knock White's, but I am looking for a mainly relic machine to my collection and the Tejon has my vote at this time.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Plus, the Tejon has a lifetime warranty. It is my favorite relic detector. I also use an XLT, DMC 2B, and an XS.
Mike :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider the Tejon if I were you, but it might have some problems with mineralized or compact soil types like you have there. If you get one, you should probably invest in the 12" DD coil for it.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
Either the Tejon or the F75. The F75 is more versatile and i could not do without either one. If you get the Tejon, you must get the 5.75 coil too. Everyone I know who uses a Tejon keep, the 5.75 on it, myself included.

Still, I use the F75 more than the Tejon.

J

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't count out the Vaquero . Loves brass and lead . I have been shocked how far down I have dug for 22 shells. Great little machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread